NADA price guides for outboards??? really?

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
interesting reads. according to the nada outboard guide most motors pre 99 should only be around 300.00 or less. WOW so how come no one knows this? we should all be picking up some ob's for cheap! my 88 15hp is only worth 265. its mint and i gotta fix the stupid carb cover. out here in norcal this lil evi is worth 600 on the low, 900 on the high. a beat up salt water will fetch 300 here.
as for my 89 merc, 45hp, its only worth 265 as well. :(
just wondering where the estimated values are coming from? and in your areas, is this the fair price from the nada guide?
dino
http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1992/Evinrude/E15REN/20001753/Outboard-Motors

emoney

Commander
Re: NADA price guides for outboards??? really?

NADA is a "Percentage Only" guide. True market value is not factored in and should only be used as a "finance guide" IMHO.

Brewman61

Ensign

I suppose they take the suggested retail and run it out by a percentage each year of age or something.

I tried running my own boat and trailer just to see, and I got a value returned that was at least in the ballpark for
what I'd try and get if I wanted to sell, certainly more reasonable numbers than they were showing for your outboard example.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

NADA is WAY low on used engines, My 1998 Johnson 70hp 4 stroke is "valued" at ~800$!!!!!! Minimum I've been offered on trade is 2500$ and 2 dealers said they could sell it for 3500$ in under a week. My Grandpa's 130hp Yamaha 2 stroke is valued at ~400$, would sell for 2000$ in a hurry on craigslist.