Peeling paint on block but runs great?

strikebombs

Cadet
about a year ago I bought a boat with a 1983 150hp Merc on it, it has great, even compression of 125 across all cylinders, runs, and idles great. I have had no problems at all with it.when I bought it I made the rookie mistake of not noticing some peeling paint on the one side of the block and a couple of the head bolts were missing small flakes of paint. so, i now have to assume it overheated at some point and was worked on. considering everything is perfect with it(from what i can tell), pumps water great never overheats or anything and have been using it fairly for about a year now with no problems, how concerned, if at all, should i be about the peeling paint? heads themselves look like they have newer/shinier paint on them as well

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Peeling paint on block but runs great?

Don't worry if it is running great.

Repaint it next "off season" if it bothers you

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Peeling paint on block but runs great?

Could be just the paint didn't stick to that engine or it was overheated but as Bob said, if it runs fine why worry, whatever was wrong with it has been fixxed.

A buddy had an engine that his brother took out, got stuck in the mud and just kept pouring on the gas to get out, got it so hot it melted the oveheat sensor and plastic pressure relief valve in the head.

I changed the head gasket and replaced all the mekted parts and it still runs like a top after 3 years and with better compression than my never overheated boat so it isn't a death nell.

I am sure you have enough to worrry about so take this one off the list.