Boat Slightly overpowered question

Deegee

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased a 1991 princecraft super pro 176. Its is powered by a 1987 v4 110 johnson w/ vro. The tag on the boat says 90hp max. Will be 20hp over the recommended cause me troubles if i get pulled over on the water for spot check? Will my insurance be void if anything happens? whats the consequences of being over the recommended hp rating??

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Boat Slightly overpowered question

Depends entirely on which state you live in and what mood the LEO is in.
As far as I know your insurance will not be void, but you should really call them and ask. Nobody here knows that answer unless they work for your particular insurance company and are looking at your particular policy.
The consequences for being 22% overpowered may not be that much, or could be severe depending on your hull and transom condition. The boat may be crazy unstable at high speeds. It may not be. The transom may be overengineered and can handle the additional stress of the added torque. Or it may be max'ed out at 90hp. It could be rotten already and tear off the next time you use it.

The bottom line is nobody can give you real answers here, only their own opinion and what happened to their brother-in-law last year.
That's why these "overpower my boat?" threads are so entertaining.....;) :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Being a little bit overpowered is like being a little bit pregnant. Power ratings are a safety issue, exceeding them is risky.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

maybe
maybe
and nothing good.

Its illegal to use a boat that is over the rated hp here.
It also illegal to sell an overpowered boat here.

Deegee

Seaman Apprentice

Well not to worried about the boat being able to handle the extra 20hp. Looks like a 90hp sticker kit will be ordered!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

resized55.jpg100_6066.jpg011.jpg100_6190.jpgworking copy.jpgView attachment 149708

While the OMC V4 engines ran from 90 up to about 120 HP changing stickers will make your 110 into a 90 by appearance. However, remember that LEO do their job for a living and have probably seen it all. If you don't get on the loud pedal and drive like a maniac there is a low probability of being stopped. Then, if you have been behaving responsibly it is highly likely that if stopped for a courtesy inspection the engine size will not even be noted.

My beef with the rating system is that you can take the same hull, put an IO into it and there is no horsepower rating. Similarly, you can take a 10-13 foot jetski hull and power it with a 120 supercharged engine.

While I am not recommending overpowering a boat, let's face it: We all know it happens. I will show you a 14 footer that is powered with a 125. This boat was originally rated for around 40 HP and (DISCLAIMER) It has been highly modified to handle the higher horsepower. The 10 footer is powered with a 55, up from a 25 and again, the transom has been modified to handle the extra. These are not everyday drivers. They are used only on off peak days with little to no traffic.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

As been said NOT recommended!
I have the exact same motor on my 20' pontoon (rated for "less" motor) so i'll shut up except to say i get checked here in Texas every other trip out & the subject has never come up-
Personaly I'd lose the tag :redface:

Deegee

Seaman Apprentice

New sticker kit on the way :D. Previous owner has owned the boat for over 10yrs with this motor said he nevr had an issue. Gonna put the new stickers on n e way. Ordered new paint for it as well. Might as well make it look brand new

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like you already had your mind made up before you posted. You decided on the sticker kit before anyone validated it.

God forbid you should have any type of accident, even if it wasn't your fault. Better hope the other guy's lawyer isn't better than yours!

Deegee

Seaman Apprentice

Its got a 90 hp johnson on it I don't know what your talking about :D

Deegee

Seaman Apprentice

Well the lake I live on is over 200 ft deep. If I happen to crash there gonna need there scuba team to go figure it out. Plus at 6ft 6 just over 300 lbs I need all the power I can get!!

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Not to justify his sticker buying and hp...but
Has anyone ever had first hand experience with a lawyer or insurance company rejecting a claim because of overpowering?
I know some companies won't insure you with an overpowered hull but thats before the fact.
In most cases like this where only talking 4-8 mph more,it's not like they just made a rocket ship.

halfmoa

Ensign

My beef with the rating system is that you can take the same hull, put an IO into it and there is no horsepower rating. Similarly, you can take a 10-13 foot jetski hull and power it with a 120 supercharged engine.

I feel PRECISELY the same way.

Deegee

Seaman Apprentice

Not to justify his sticker buying and hp...but
Has anyone ever had first hand experience with a lawyer or insurance company rejecting a claim because of overpowering?
I know some companies won't insure you with an overpowered hull but thats before the fact.
In most cases like this where only talking 4-8 mph more,it's not like they just made a rocket ship.

Thank You! Ill be lucky if this boat goes 40mph :p

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Sadly, there are just too many irresponsible boaters that don't even bother to buy insurance. If an insurance company unknowlingly provides insurance (that they usually would have denied) because of a sticker change, you can be sure that they will deny any claims later once they find out. Its called fraud.

Not understanding what the requirements are is one thing. But deliberately ignoring the rules is just another example of irresponsibility.

Deegee

Seaman Apprentice

Sadly, there are just too many irresponsible boaters that don't even bother to buy insurance. If an insurance company unknowlingly provides insurance (that they usually would have denied) because of a sticker change, you can be sure that they will deny any claims later once they find out. Its called fraud.

Not understanding what the requirements are is one thing. But deliberately ignoring the rules is just another example of irresponsibility.

You should see my care face right now. Thats how i bought the boat it is what it is.

halfmoa

Ensign

You should see my care face right now. Thats how i bought the boat it is what it is.

I know what you mean but there's guys on here who're real sticklers for the rules. The thing that always busts my chops is that I can't put a 90 horse on my 16 footer but you can put a blown V8 in a 17 footer....as long as it's not hanging off the back.