Two Issues-One Outboard

AL79

Recruit
Hello,

I have an '86 90 hp Johnson outboard and I am trying to install a new steering cable. Here's my problem: my outboard takes up a lot of space in a small transom and the cable (as everyone knows) isn't really easy to bend and/or maneuver. I can't quite get the cable installed into the motor even though I've unbolted the motor and have moved it all the way to the left. The cable enter into the transom through a small 3 inch in diameter hole on the right side. From what I can tell I will have to lift the outboard up in order to get the proper angle to get that cable in. I wanted to check some other people, before I go and lift it up, if that is what I really have to do. Thanks, in advance, to anyone that can help (hopefully I am in the right forum). Even though I grew up around boats, this is my first time ever owning one!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Two Issues-One Outboard

Yep - pick up the motor with a come-along and pop the cable through... Be sure to seal up all transom bolt holes when done...

AL79

Recruit
Re: Two Issues-One Outboard

Yep - pick up the motor with a come-along and pop the cable through... Be sure to seal up all transom bolt holes when done...

I will give it a try. Thanks and I will let you know how it goes.