Got caught in Dalco Passage rip tide without power.

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class
Equipment:
19 1/2ft Glasply Deep-V runabout O/B version with 20 degree deep-vee sea hull.
Johnson 140hp outboard main.
Evinrude 15hp pull start kicker.

I would just like to share this little cautionary tale from today about how incredibly easy it is to get into trouble on the water.

Admittedly I didn't check the tide tables before launching from Pt. Defiance this afternoon with my son and a buddy but since we planned on being in the shelter of Quartermaster Harbor enjoying the day and giving my 9-year-old time to bounce some lead on the bottom and catch some easy fish, the tide shift times were not on my mind.

It was nearing the end of the day but we had time for one last drift off Pt. Defiance before heading in to the launch. We slowly drifted a northwesterly heading starting 100 yards off Owens beach on the same calm water we'd seen all day. We had drifted to the middle of Dalco passage about a mile from the Narrows confluence but not to the point I could see the bridge. Since I didn't want to navigate the Narrows without charting tide conditions (or at all today) I had my kid pull up and lock the rods. The water was still just as calm as everywhere else on the sound but I could see some chop about 1000 yards out, beyond the point- which is normal. The rods were locked and we were just securing everything on the deck before starting the motor when the water started churning and in just moments we were hit hard on all sides by 5-7ft waves from a rip tide that came directly up from beneath and surrounded us. My buddy hit the deck and pulled my son to the floor with him and I knee crawled to the helm as a some water even cleared the splashwell, soaking the two of them. The boat hit side angles like I didn't think were possible. The motor is a FINE motor and started with just a micro-click on the key but I couldn't get any bite with the prop (was still on my knees while doing this) since it was either completely out of the water or buried. The entire ordeal probably lasted less than a minute before it subsided just enough to break out of there - but that was one long minute!

I've been through really big water with my buddy in his North River and never stressed over it and I think my heavy "v" cuts through it even better than his North River. Of course - that's when you're under motor power! Thankfully Glasply made a great hull for these waters and I have a quick thinking buddy that looked after my son. It's highly unlikely the boat was in danger of capsizing but it's just another reminder to always be prepared for the unexpected since everything can change in an instance. For one, can't think of a good reason anymore to not pay attention to the tide book regardless of my intentions at launch. And two, memorize those charts! It says right on there "Tide Rips."

Whew! Good to be home!

Does anyone have other experiences in the Puget Sound similar to this? It can be a wild place at times and no two times out have ever been exactly the same for me.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Got caught in Dalco Passage rip tide without power.

You just made me glad I fish in a river, it moves 2-3 mph and the only waves I see are from passing boats.

Glad everything worked out.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Yikes! 4 guys rolled a 23' Grady this weekend in Hatteras inlet (all survived). As you say, it's instantaneous. No time to grab a life vest out of a hatch or a cell phone off the dash board and put it in a water tight case.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I lived on the water not too far from there for many years, it can be a tricky place to go boating, with huge whirlpools, odd waves, fast currents, rock cliffs and other not so friendly things.

I never had anything happen like that to me, but the area is known for stuff like this.