What is my 3horse

glunce56

Recruit
Image0507.jpgCan anyone tell me what year my 3horse sea king motor is.It's model number is 0253574,serial number 574859. It says sea king on the tank and goodyear tire and rubber co. on the i.d. tag.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What is my 3horse

Howdy, glunce.

Welcome to iboats. :)

That is a new one on me. I thought that "Sea King" was a brand name that belonged to Montgomery Ward exclusively. During the period from about 1946 to about 1963 Sea King Motors were made by the Gale division of OMC and had model numbers that began with "GG".

Gale may have also built private brand motors for other companies, like Goodyear for example. Your motor has the look of a Gale-made motor. I see parts that could have come off a '48 or '49 Gale-made Sea King 1.5

I speculate that your motor is a Gale made for Goodyear that has acquired a tank off of a Gale made for Montgomery Ward Sea King.

Unfortunately I cannot translate the model number into a year, but if I had to guess I would say late 1940s.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: What is my 3horse

Its a 1954 Goodyear SeaBee 3 HP made by the Gale Division of the Outboard Marine Corp. Thus, its roots are Evinrude.

Now, to confound the issue, someone replaced the tank with one from a Monky Ward Sea King motor, which was also made by OMC, thus some parts are interchangeable.

025xxx are Sea Bees between 1948 and 1953.