Drug skeg on ramp...any repair advice??

After about 6 hours out on the water for the first day in my first boat, everything went smooth as butter. It wasn't until I was loading the boat on the trailer and failed to put the trim up the entire way up that I head the bone chilling noise of the skeg scraping against the concrete of the ramp....:facepalm:

I have been told that this is aluminum cast and is very hard to bend back without breaking, can't heat and bend, etc. It is not a small, sharp angled bend. It is slight bend that travels a few inches up the fin. Any advice on the best way to try to straighten out? I have been told to use a couple blocks of wood and a c-clamp and slowly bend it back.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Drug skeg on ramp...any repair advice??

If the bend isn't terribly bad ( I've seen some doosies) leave it alone an keep boating. Won't hurt the boat any. It's your first boat, won't be the last ding she gets.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

I would not try to bend it back, I bent an anti cavitation plate and I tried to bend it back, it cracked instead of bending back (a mercury outboard). I had an aluminum prop, It got bent so I tried to bend bend it back, it cracked, certain kinds of aluminum don't bend well. And heating aluminum won't do anything untill it melts, if my memory serves me right

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Agree with two above-
It really doesn't do anything (protect the prop maybe) so forget it & keep it wet :)

robert graham

Admiral

If the bend bothers you or effects the tracking of the boat, then you can easily hack-saw off the bent section(leave 2 or 3 inches) and bolt on a Skeg Guard, a nice stainless steel skeg fin that is made just for your application. Good Luck!;)

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree with two above-
It really doesn't do anything (protect the prop maybe) so forget it & keep it wet :)

I was wondering the purpose of that thing.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I always thought the purpose was to protect the prop. If your motor hits an underwater object the skeg will lift the prop over the object. In theory anyway.

robert graham

Admiral

The skeg is there to protect the prop. The Skeg Guard can protect a skeg or repair a damaged skeg....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I always thought the purpose was to protect the prop. If your motor hits an underwater object the skeg will lift the prop over the object. In theory anyway.

true. I broke one completely off (parking lot, backed against a bumper) and ran the motor for a while until I got a new one welded on, no problem as far as performance.
Some people weld rebar onto the front of the skeg for extra protection.

We have a work boat at a finshnig/hunting club that gets run in shallow water/sand bottom all the time; the skeg is worn down from sanding. I may add a skeg card to reinstate the protection for the prop; meanwhile it does fine.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the replies, feeling relieved. I was convincing myself that I really messed up.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

You're not the first person to do this! :)

Consider it a simple "learning experience"! The good news is that you won't make the same mistake again!

Do a search for a "Skeg Guard"- you will see that several shops have them and I am sure that iBoats does as well.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer

At least you didn't forget the drain plug!!

I wouldn't worry about it

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

For those who think it does nothing, try turning the trim annode the opposite direction from what it is and go out and drive the boat. Now imagine what that big skeg does when it's bent.

I agree you should not bend it back and I don't agree with the cutting it off and putting a skeg guard on. Skeg guards are supposed to be used before you damage it not after. I won't dissagree that you might get away with using one but it wouldn't be done on any of my boats.

robert graham

Admiral

Skeg-Guard would still be cheaper than welding or replacing lower unit......it's not a bad option;)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Skeg-Guard would still be cheaper than welding or replacing lower unit......it's not a bad option;)

Actually, last time I had a skeg welded it wasn't bad at all. Comparable to the price of a skeg guard as I recall. Of course, that was some years back.

robert graham

Admiral

Actually, last time I had a skeg welded it wasn't bad at all. Comparable to the price of a skeg guard as I recall. Of course, that was some years back.
I personally would prefer welding a new piece/section on the skeg, but finding a welding shop willing and able to do it, and dragging the boat over there could be a hassle. The Skeg Guard is a DIY, drill 2 holes, pop it on...just depends on what makes you happy!...My great preference is to stay away from stumps, rocks, ramps, etc....avoid the entire issue!;)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I personally would prefer welding a new piece/section on the skeg, but finding a welding shop willing and able to do it, and dragging the boat over there could be a hassle. The Skeg Guard is a DIY, drill 2 holes, pop it on...just depends on what makes you happy!...My great preference is to stay away from stumps, rocks, ramps, etc....avoid the entire issue!;)

Agreed!