pride comes before a fall

omcnut

Seaman Apprentice
went down to the lake the other day to play with one of my toys and have o little fish. put the 14 foot alloy boat in andclimbed in with my little 2.5hp 40plus british seagull outboard circa1948 and proceeded to bolt it on,just then a vanload of swarthy types with a brand new twin outboard sharkcat launched and proceeded to heap derision on my little sewingmachine with statements like omg your not going out with that old peice of c@%p youll be getting towed in ,and looks like an anchor not a motor!!:mad: well true to form the little seagull fired up on the first pull and putted away faultlesly:pand after6 hours of very enjoyable boating/fishing whom do we spot waving a rope on the way back to the ramp but the very same boatload of goons broken down and begging for a tow:cool:...it was one of the most satisfying moments of my life to pull up accept their line and say"yep dony fancy your chances with them new fangled motors ..too much to go wrong":Dperfect end to a beautifull day!!!(oh caught a nice feed of fish too;))

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: pride comes before a fall

Did you happen to show the "swarthy types" what they did wrong? That would have been icing on the cake!

Moody Blue

Captain

That is truly awesome. Hope you got a picture as a keepsake. Did you get a THANKS for the tow, or did they hang their heads and walk away?

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

I was the goon when I passed the crabbers in coffee pot bayou, I was all cool and swab like big and rich, but when my little sunbird broke down I remembered my Dad saying "always have a paddle on board" while my brother - in - Law tried to paddle us home with his shoe tied to the boat hook! Then upon us see the crabbers, who we once looked upon with their crudd covered skiff, with red face and all pride gone I asked for a tow!

omcnut

Seaman Apprentice

That is truly awesome. Hope you got a picture as a keepsake. Did you get a THANKS for the tow, or did they hang their heads and walk away?
no photo but very red faced mumbled thanks followed by a dissappearing act that would have houdini proud;)

robert graham

Admiral

It don't say much for a guy who makes fun of antique outboards, boats, cars, airplanes, people....give 'em a few years, and if they live long enough, they may get to be antiques!:p:D;)

swheeler

Cadet

Great story! Thanks for sharing, gave me a chuckle.... Bet they learned a bit that day.

Scott

nwcove

Admiral

rofl.....i have three gulls, and just love the simplicity of them! havent had the pleasure of towing a 20 grand rig yet!? but did get a chance to drag a new looking rig back to dock with my 1957 johnson 5.5. kinda funny to hit the water with a screwdriver and an adjustible wrench in the tool kit,and put a tow line on a big bucks rig!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Karma at work, that is funny and had to be quite the site to see.