First time in brackish water

Mylo53

Cadet
I will be heading to MD (from PA) in July to fish the Pocomoke River. It is tidal to upstream where I will be fishing and I presume brackish. How/when will I need to flush the motor (40/30 Merc jet)? What other precautions would/should I make to keep my equipment in good shape? I also presume that I should wash the trailer down. Should I do it daily? I will be there for 4 days and taking the boat out everyday after fishing. I would appreciate any/all advice.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: First time in brackish water

flush it when you pull it out. make sure you also hose off the trailer.

Philster

Captain

When you flush, use muffs of the proper size. Flush it soon after use, while it is warm. If you flush it later, when the engine cools and the t-stat closes, it might not warm up enough. When that happens, you will flush the exhaust and drive, but not the engine.

It might get to 160 or so to pop the t-stat on the muffs, but it might not.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Nothing to worry about, it's not salt water, just flush engine and rinse trailer properly right after the fishing event. Is it a standard outboard engine with jet propulsion drive ? if so, probably no muffs will fit, must have a water flusher port somewhere. Connect water hose to it, start engine and flush properly for some minutes.

Happy Boating

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

even if you did nothing, you would never know the difference. I'd hit the trailer wheels with the hose and that's about it, unless it's a painted steel trailer, then I might send some water down the tubes.

So do what makes you feel good, but don't dwell on it or worry if you skip a step, or a day's rinsing, etc.

Hose off your rods and reels, too--gently.

Mylo53

Cadet

Nothing to worry about, it's not salt water, just flush engine and rinse trailer properly right after the fishing event. Is it a standard outboard engine with jet propulsion drive ? if so, probably no muffs will fit, must have a water flusher port somewhere. Connect water hose to it, start engine and flush properly for some minutes.

Happy Boating
Yes, that is what it is. I do have a flush connection I use at home when I come off the river in muddy conditions. No problem to take along a hose, just don't know where to get fresh water. Are there usually any fresh water hook ups around brackish ramps? I will be staying at Pocomoke River State Park, Milburn Landing? Does anyone know about this place? Amenities for flushing boat, etc? What happens to motors and boats that people keep berthed in brackish/saltwater? Does anything happen to them or are they all made of stainless steel?