Used 2005 50hp 4 stroke or rebuilt by factory tech 2 stroke?

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking at a used Merv 50hp 4 stroke EFI that had only salt water use, can't say how much it was every flushed. It is a 2005 model.

Also looking at a Yamaha 85hp 2 stroke late 90's which was totally rebuilt by a Yamaha dealer (everything rebuilt - pistons, sleeves gaskets you name it). Zero hours on the rebuild, has to be broken in.

Both are the same price $3500.

I have a 16.5ft Jetcraft that is easy to plane (derived from their jetboat lines), so I understand either motor would work (though the 85 is slightly overpowered for the boat but I don't care).

Thoughts?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Used 2005 50hp 4 stroke or rebuilt by factory tech 2 stroke?

Which gives best after sales warranty and for how long ? Assume Yam dealer beats ?

Happy Boating

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Correct - Yamaha has warranty, Merc has no warranty. Would you go for the Yamaha solely on that?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Not only for warranty, Yam 85 is a excellent punch & reliable engine with fewer parts, less maintenance issues compared to 4 strokes engines, we use them down here too. Assume both weights near same, if boat is exceeding max HP rated engine, just don't throttle at full wot from stationary, just in case likes doing wheely's...

Happy Boating

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, nearly identical weights. Just discovered the 85 is pre-mix - ugh. Tough choice.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What's so tough about pre-mix. So it takes an extra minute to refuel. Certainly not a deal breaker in my book. In fact it is a big "plus" in my book. You still have oil issues with the four stroke. such as oil and filter changes (ughh). Then there are the periodic valve adjustment and timing belt issues. Yamaha all the way in this choice.

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Interesting perspective. The Yammy is a '93 but with the rebuild it should last quite a few years I'm guessing.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If it's overhauled correctly with original parts and done by someon who knows his work and what's doing, not a single issue to worry about. It's like buying a new engine, well treated and serviced will serve you well for years to come. Just break in the engine properly with correct rpm and 25:1 gas/oil ratio for the next 10 hours. Go for it, new and if still available, should cost around 70 hundred bucks or tad more.

Happy Boating

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Hands down the Yammie, new fresh engine vs an old saltwater engine, this one is a no brainer.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

I would go with the 2stroke, those are getting harder and harder to come by and four strokes are becoming plentiful, if you change your mind you can always find a new fourstroke later, but that 2 stroke will be gone!

Philster

Captain

2-strokers rule.

Boating is/was always better with the two-stroke outboard. It changed the world!

Yeah, I like two-strokers. Made my childhood and teen years priceless.

JDusza

Ensign

2-stroke. Much better power to weight ratio.
Pre-mix is good. Oil injection failures are not. Keep mixing your own fuel.
More horsepower. You'll want it.
Fresh engine. Excellent.
Warranty. Excellent.
You know the answer. Yamaha.