What size outboard for my 14' fiberglass V-hull?

nhblock

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What size outboard for my 14' fiberglass V-hull?

Okay, I spoke with the seller and he said it would mount fine on my 15" transom.

Anyone have any additional insight/warnings before I go and buy this thing? Meeting the seller on Sunday for a tryout.

nhblock

Seaman Apprentice

Just bought three today; glad we're on the same page

"Okay, I spoke with the seller and he said it would mount fine on my 15" transom."

One more thing. If someone asked me if a long shaft would work on X boat I would say yes as well. There is a caveat however; a long shaft is typically a kicker motor in that it mounts on a bracket. The short shaft, which is more commonly used, mounts to the transom which is usually built to accommodate the size. So, while a long shaft will work, it is not designed for optimum performance.

Here is a link you might find interesting and informative.

nhblock

Seaman Apprentice

True, so I guess my question is: is this Merc a long or short shaft? I can't really tell from the pictures and the seller didn't have dims for the shaft on hand, so I was hoping to get an answer on that.

Thanks for the link; that is really informative.

Really hard to say from the angle of the picture, but it looks like a long shaft to me. I have a short AND a long shaft Merc and in comparison, my long shaft looks more like the one you have in the picture.

nhblock

Seaman Apprentice

Just wanted to update everyone -- I got a great deal on a 1966 Sears/McCullogh 7.5 hp short shaft. Model 574.60607 / Serial 66600717-7465.

She starts on one pull, shifts and revs, and is in pretty solid mechanical shape from what I can tell after a couple of bucket tests. Strong water flow from the impeller. The only issue is cosmetic (cracked cowl with some missing chunks), which I'm going to work on this weekend. Going to pull the plugs and do some cleaning/greasing on the linkages, then mount her and see how she runs in the river.

I picked up some plexiglass to replace the missing chunks out of the cowl, and with some epoxy work it should be functional (certainly not pretty). Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this one!

IMG-20120322-00234.jpgIMG-20120322-00235.jpgIMG-20120322-00236.jpgIMG-20120322-00237.jpgIMG-20120322-00239.jpg

nhblock

Seaman Apprentice

Seller also included this great 6 gallon fuel tank. It has a built-in push-button primer on top, which I think negates the need for a primer bulb in my fuel line?

Can anyone tell me what size fuel line fits on this motor? I have a mishmash of lines connected to the fuel nipple and I need to convert the smaller fuel line to the larger nipple.

IMG-20120322-00238.jpgIMG-20120322-00240.jpg

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

That is a dual-line pressure tank for an early 50's Johnson/Evinrude. It may be rigged to work, but your motor has a fuel pump that normally uses a single-line, vented tank.

nhblock

Seaman Apprentice

That is a dual-line pressure tank for an early 50's Johnson/Evinrude. It may be rigged to work, but your motor has a fuel pump that normally uses a single-line, vented tank.

Right now the dual line is split at the end, so the "fuel" side of the line is attached to the fuel input on the motor, and the "air" side of the line is left open and aspirated. I presume that gives it the same functionality of a vented tank?

Also, the inside diameter of the line currently attached is smaller than the diameter of the fuel input nipple on the motor. Will that starve the motor? Or am I fine?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

That would work. I wouldn't worry too much about the line diameter. I have 1/4" line on a 40 hp which would use a lot more fuel at WOT.

nhblock

Seaman Apprentice

That makes sense. I totally forgot that once upon a time I once replaced the fuel lines in an old 6-cylinder Datsun with 1/4" line. Looks like I'll save a few bucks and stick with my rigged setup. Thanks!

nhblock

Seaman Apprentice

I did some research on the forums and it looked like the best suggestion for attaching a 1/8" fuel line to my 1/4" inlet on the Sears motor was a Force coupler. I couldn't find one in my area of the city, so I dropped by Ace and did some browsing. I came up with a home-built coupling made from a 1/4" barb, an 1/8" barb, and an appropriate joiner from the plumbing section. Wrapped the threads in some PTFE tape and wrenched everything together, so now I can connect the 1/8" fuel line from my 50s Johnson tank to the 1/4" fuel inlet on the Sears motor using some 1/4" line. Problem solved!

DSCN1746.jpgDSCN1747.jpg