E-Tech or 4 stroke?

makosnax

Cadet
Looking to go new, don't need a rocket ship just a reliable motor that will last the longest.I would imagine 4s would last longer because internal components are oil-bathed.Is two stroke reliability up to par with four strokes when it comes to over all life of the motor?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: E-Tech or 4 stroke?

Ahoy, snax.

Welcome to iboats. :)

You will hear that 4 strokes have far too many parts to be as reliable as the simple 2 strokes. That is yet to be proven. DFI 2 strokes have new technology in their complex fuel and oil injection systems and computers, while the EFI technology in the 4 strokes has been refined and perfected in the auto and cycle industry for many years.

The number of carbed 2 stroke outboards that are in regular service after 40-60 years speaks highly of the mechanical reliability of the simple 2 stroke outboard. The questions yet to be answered have to do with the new technology.

Four stroke outboards use both mechanical and engine management technology well proven in other applications, so I am not intimidated by the number of parts. Many modern automobiles stay in service with several hundred thousand miles on them. How many years of outboard service would that amount to?

Weight? Look them up. DFI 2 strokes are not a lot lighter than equivalent 4 strokes, though carbed 2 strokes are a lot lighter than either.

Bottom line? You probably cannot go wrong with any new outboard currently available. I like 4 strokes in anything over about 50HP and old, carbed (OMC) 2 strokes for anything smaller.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

Matter of preferance: I have heard some not too great things about etecks. If I could repower my boat, I would get
rid of my twin 150 yamaha carb 2 strokes, and get 2 new yammy DI 2 strokes. They are very dependeble, and the per-
formance is great! That being said, new motors are very dependable whether their 2 or 4 strokes.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Now I'm not saying the 4 stroke is a bad motor just too many moving parts especially the valve train.
As far as car motors running 100,00 or more car motors seldom run over 3000 rpm and normally if over 3000 it is
for a few seconds.Marine engines run over 3000 routinely and might run at wot throttle 5000 to 6000 for an hour or more.
This is right up a 2 strokes alley. A 2 cylinder 2 stroke has 5 moving parts,
A 2 cylinder 4 stroke has about 27 moving parts.Some 4 strokes have a problem called making oil, look it up.
The Etec has been around for 8 years I think if there were out of the ordinary issues it would be well known by now.
BRP took over OMC straightened out their issues developed a line of state of the art outboards and got their dealers up to speed
in an amazing short length of time.And now it appears other companies are developeing direct injection 2 strokes.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I always had outboards and always wanted an I/O. Then I got one and when I found out how much maintenance was required I wished I had an outboard again. I do most all my own maintenance, so not an issue, just a pita.

When the 4-stroke outboards first came out I thought I wanted a 4-stroke. Then I found out that they needed valve adjustments and a lot of other maintenance. In this case I figure I probably couldn't do it because I don't have the tools or experience.

My next boat will be a 2-stroke OB.

Just my opinion.

The Rooster

Ensign

Now I'm not saying the 4 stroke is a bad motor just too many moving parts especially the valve train.
As far as car motors running 100,00 or more car motors seldom run over 3000 rpm and normally if over 3000 it is
for a few seconds.Marine engines run over 3000 routinely and might run at wot throttle 5000 to 6000 for an hour or more.
This is right up a 2 strokes alley. A 2 cylinder 2 stroke has 5 moving parts,
A 2 cylinder 4 stroke has about 27 moving parts.Some 4 strokes have a problem called making oil, look it up.
The Etec has been around for 8 years I think if there were out of the ordinary issues it would be well known by now.
BRP took over OMC straightened out their issues developed a line of state of the art outboards and got their dealers up to speed
in an amazing short length of time.And now it appears other companies are developeing direct injection 2 strokes.

+1 for "steelespike". Honestly, "makosnax", All the modern outboards are well designed, and unless you are a commercial fisherman, the motor will probably outlast you. Good luck !!!

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would love a 4 stroke OB only if it had more horses than needed in order to limit it's WOT operation to 3/4 Full trottle. For some reason I find that 4 strokes dont sound good at WOT ... in oposition to 2 strokes. But then that's just me .. LOL

makosnax

Cadet

thanks for the input.I am leaning towards the e-tech.when looking for used outboards for sale i noticed you dont see many honda 4 strokes or e techs for sale,I'm assuming its because nobody wants to part with them.Deciding factor could be the fact that the e tech dealer is 10 minutes from home and the guy has been very helpful in the past when i've had random questions or issues.I believe he deserves my business because he is a pleasure doing business with.

bassman284

Commander

No question, the Etec is a heckuva a motor. That said, I'm pretty happy with my Mercury 60 hp 4 stroke. IMO, you can't go wrong with either.

Somebody above referred to all the valve adjustments and massive maintenance required by 4 strokes. This is BS. In 11 years, the only maintenance my 4 stroke has required is the annual oil change.

Several years ago, I asked the Merc dealer about when I should get my valves adjusted and he just laughed and said, "You've been reading internet forums, right?"

Sandbank

Seaman

Hey Makosnax, good post.I am actually looking into the same for a boat I am buying so interesting thread. My comp is between a Yami 4 stroke 115HP and the Evinrude E-Tec 130HP (at exactly the same weight). Still looking at the cost comparison and warranties though as I want to buy new.
Admit you probably cant go wrong with either but I want to get the best for my cash.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

No question, the Etec is a heckuva a motor. That said, I'm pretty happy with my Mercury 60 hp 4 stroke. IMO, you can't go wrong with either.

Somebody above referred to all the valve adjustments and massive maintenance required by 4 strokes. This is BS. In 11 years, the only maintenance my 4 stroke has required is the annual oil change.

Several years ago, I asked the Merc dealer about when I should get my valves adjusted and he just laughed and said, "You've been reading internet forums, right?"

Have you actually read the owners manual for required maintenance and service intervals???? You might find some interesting info regarding valve adjuistment. Break a timing chain or belt and learn first hand what maintenance costs are.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Have you actually read the owners manual for required maintenance and service intervals???? You might find some interesting info regarding valve adjuistment. Break a timing chain or belt and learn first hand what maintenance costs are.

Will second Silvertip, unless you have hidraulic valves which require no valve adjustments as in cars, you need valve adjustment from time to time and belt change at XX worked hours, if you want to extende it longer and that belts breaks, $$$$ voila!!

Happy Boating

makosnax

Cadet

Sand bank, I've actually narrowed it down to the 4s yamaha or the etech as did you.Deciding factor will most likely be a warranty issue.I will speak to both dealers at the Edison boat show this week and probably make my decision then.GOOD LUCK!

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Deciding factor could be the fact that the e tech dealer is 10 minutes from home and the guy has been very helpful in the past when i've had random questions or issues.I believe he deserves my business because he is a pleasure doing business with.

That's the best reason I read so far that justifies the E-Tech + every other reasons also ... LOL you'r right I love 2 strokes.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Sand bank, I've actually narrowed it down to the 4s yamaha or the etech as did you. Deciding factor will most likely be a warranty issue.
Better check where your closest E-tech service center is. We have 2 in our area compared to 9 or 10 Yamaha dealers.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Will second Silvertip, unless you have hidraulic valves which require no valve adjustments as in cars, you need valve adjustment from time to time and belt change at XX worked hours, if you want to extende it longer and that belts breaks, $$$$ voila!!

Happy Boating

I can live with a belt change every 10 years, if I every kept a motor that long :D

Inspect timing belt every 100 hours (1 years)
Inspect or adjust values every 500 hours (5 years)
Replace timing belt every 1000 hours (10 years)
Replace belt tensioner every 1000 hours (10 years)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Etec requires no breakin, has no service for 3 years or 300 hours.
As with all motors winter weather might require a lay up procedure.
4 strokes have that oil and filter change, don't know how often.

Sandbank

Seaman

Sand bank, I've actually narrowed it down to the 4s yamaha or the etech as did you.Deciding factor will most likely be a warranty issue.I will speak to both dealers at the Edison boat show this week and probably make my decision then.GOOD LUCK!

Have decided onthe E-tech. My local dealer comes to you to fit and includes a full water test to choose the right prop for the boat. Also they gurantee service within 48 hours to you when required. The warranties are about the same with Yamaha
but less services (every 300 hrs). I can get a 130hp for a grand or so less than the Yami 115. Happy days.