It is hard to find motors this well taken care of.....

sutor623

Rear Admiral
I have had this motor for a while now. L-O-V-E it. She has never let me down, and all she has ever needed was a waterpump, thermostat, and input line grommet. Now, I did pay $400 and $100 in parts, so it wasn't exactly cheap, but definately one of the best buys that I have ever made. She had just over 110PSI in each cylinder, on a cold compression test. I doubt when I bought her she had over 50 hours on her. Just felt like showing you guys that there are still some real beauts out there, so don't settle for crapper motors cause they are a dime a dozen....

P2090931.jpg

P2090935.jpg

P2090934.jpg

P2090933.jpg

P2090932.jpg

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: It is hard to find motors this well taken care of.....

1981 Johnson 9.9 by the way. ;)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I still have a 1969 Johnson 9.5hp that I've owned for about 33 years and it still runs like a top also! I think I paid $350.00 for it back in 1978/79 and it still had the original prop on it when I bought it.

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Beautiful motor sutor. It is nice to see motors that are well taken care of. Here is my 87' 9.9 that my father bought when I was 10yrs old. You can eat off the motor it is so clean. Have had people at the fishing hole offer to buy her but not a chance I am going to sell it. It is almost impossible to find motors like this and like yours that people take pride in. I wouldn't even let a certified marine mechanic touch my motor out of fear they would scuff my motor up or do a hack job on it. But thankfully do to the care we have given her for 25yrs she has never needed anything but a carb rebuild and new impeller after sitting in storage for a few years.
DSCN5535.jpgDSCN5536.jpgDSCN5537.jpgDSCN5624.jpg

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

One problem with owning a motor like this sutor is when you go to buy another motor like I did recently they all look like beat up pieces of junk lol. Even motors that are listed as "in great condition" and are 10yrs newer than mine look used and abused even though they are in decent shape for the year that they are. I am a sellers worst nightmare when I show up to buy a motor.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Beautiful motor sutor. It is nice to see motors that are well taken care of. Here is my 87' 9.9 that my father bought when I was 10yrs old. You can eat off the motor it is so clean. Have had people at the fishing hole offer to buy her but not a chance I am going to sell it. It is almost impossible to find motors like this and like yours that people take pride in. I wouldn't even let a certified marine mechanic touch my motor out of fear they would scuff my motor up or do a hack job on it. But thankfully do to the care we have given her for 25yrs she has never needed anything but a carb rebuild and new impeller after sitting in storage for a few years.

Wow! She is looking good man. And yes it sucks looking at older motors to buy because it makes you feel like you will actually still find motors like these on the regular. :D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Great looking power plant, it'll probably last you another 50 years, at least!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Sutor, that's probably a very low hour summer used motor, how many worked hours do you estimate has up to date since you bough it ? We are same tunned, like to keep all my horses in near mint aesthetic and working conditions.

Happy Boating

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Thanks a bunch fellas!! I actually got lucky and found her around two years ago. When I bought it, the young fella said that it was a one owner motor before he got it, and he only bought it because the elderly fella wouldnt sell him the boat without it. He bought the boat and motor for a mere $400, and I bought just the motor for $400 so he was very happy. The guy who sold it to him said it had been winterized a few years ago, and that was that. It had 110PSI in both cylinders, and there is not a lick of rust on the whole thing. I believe it had the original impeller in it, because the lower unit bolts still had all the original paint on them. None of the bolts on the motor look like they had ever been removed actually I can only imagine that when I bought the motor it had under 100 hours on it.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Well it is a sad day guys. :( I sold the motor a few days back, had to do it for a new trailer for my starrie. I honestly haven't used the motor in some time. But..... I did get $700 for it without tank and gas line. :)

jbjennings

Captain

I owned the same model in 15hp and there's no telling how many miles that thing had been run overloaded,etc. Still ran good when I sold it. I will say....that motor had about the most boring, ugly decals on it that johnson ever put on a motor.. :)
I dare say the fellow that bought it will very likely get his $700 bucks worth.
Nice motor.
JBJ

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

man that belongs in a museum. good looking power plant. ive seen many motor for twice that that didnt look 1/2 as good. heck i was on ebay an hr ago and seen a lower unit for my 89 force 50hp motor with almost no paint left and a busted off skag almost top the gear housing for $350 OBO. i held my fingers but almost offered him $0.35 for it lol. i dont need one was just browsing. should last you a while. looks like new.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Yeah Im going to miss her. There are a lot of 4 stroke 9.9s around here for $800 and up. $700 was about the most I could get for the motor around this time. He came to look at in and offered me $550 and said that was all that he had with him. He drove from over an hour away. I kindly told him to go and find an ATM or that I was sorry he wasted his trip out. I told him $700 FIRM over the phone. I guess he thought when I saw $550 I would bite, but Id have to be pretty hungry to sell a gem like this that low. I bought a brand spankin new Load Rite galvanized 16ft. trailer with the money (for $853) and shaved off 230lbs. off my tow weight. It was worth it in my eyes. :)

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer

I don't have a 9.9 Johnson but I have a 3.7 mercrusier I/o and the motor is so beautiful and clean its amazing.

I've seen boats same age and the motors are in poor poor shape.

The motor/out drive look like a brand new boat sitting on a showroom floor.

Just makes you appreciate the people who still take care of their things and not let them go to hell

nwcove

Admiral

that is a beauty! i picked up a 1980 evinrude 7.5, looks like it had very little use, but sat in a shed by a window and the cowl decal on one side was faded to almost white.....but for a motor with next to no signs of abuse , that runs as new, i cant complain for $200.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

that is a beauty! i picked up a 1980 evinrude 7.5, looks like it had very little use, but sat in a shed by a window and the cowl decal on one side was faded to almost white.....but for a motor with next to no signs of abuse , that runs as new, i cant complain for $200.

Yeah you did really well on that one.