Montgomery/Ward, Sea King outboard...

Kirk W

Recruit
I recently inherited my dad's old boat motor that he bought used back in the 60's and the kept around even after he got a bigger, better motor because nobody wanted to pay much for it, and he loaned it to me and also other family members to use on boats that we had. I don't think that it has been run in the past 10 years or so and I really don't have a use for it, but it seems like something that should be preserved.

About all that I know about it is that dad always said it was 5 hp, but I didn't see any data plate to say that. It still has the original paint in fairly good condition and the name and all still shows as does the M/W on the front cowling. It has the self-contained fuel tank, and is a two cycle engine. It has no revers but pivots a full 360 degrees to allow you to back with it. It has a spark advance on the front, just above the throttle, which is a lever.

I am looking for help to better identify it and possibly find out what it may be worth, if anything? Any help or advice that you can offer will be appreciated! :)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Montgomery/Ward, Sea King outboard...

I have a Monky Sea King "5" myself. Mine is a 1941, it runs, and I got it from a garage sale for $10. It was only missing the recoil starter, but the rope sheave was there so it can still be started.

Tell us the serial number and model number off the plate, or better yet send a pic and we can identify the true year and HP.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

He said there is no data plate. Post a picture.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Check carefully on the mounting bracket for a model number.
As suggested pics will help.You'll have to use a host site.
If its a full gearshift and the color will help some.
Value can vary widely.dependeing on the condition comepleteness,
and whether it is presently running.
You might check ebay,craigs list and your local swapsheets for similar motors.

Kirk W

Recruit

Check carefully on the mounting bracket for a model number.
As suggested pics will help.You'll have to use a host site.
OK, guys, here are acouple of pictures that my be helpful.
motor_1.jpg
This is the front of the tank The throttle is above and the knob is fuel mix control. I think the bottom is the choke, but it has been a few years since I used it.
motor_2.jpg
This is a side view with the fuel fill showing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Easy, that is a model xxGG-9015A, where xx is 15 or 25 or 35 or 45. Reversing those numbers gives the year. Example, 25 reversed is 52---1952. The motor was made 1951 through 1954, all the same. It is a Gale model 5D10.

Kirk W

Recruit

Easy, that is a model xxGG-9015A, where xx is 15 or 25 or 35 or 45. Reversing those numbers gives the year. Example, 25 reversed is 52---1952. The motor was made 1951 through 1954, all the same. It is a Gale model 5D10.

Thanks for the reply! Can you tell me where to find the data plate on it?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I believe the plate is on the front of the mounting bracket.
The bracket is turned around to the back so the tag is not obvious.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

acmeoutboards.com has a sea king guide and manual for that little gem.

Kirk W

Recruit

I have found the data plate and it is a model 15GG and serial number 403635. The gas tank has been dry so it should probably still run. Next thing is to get a barrel to put it into and mix up some fuel.

Thanks for all of the help!