Using former two-stroke tank for four-stroke motor???

I just re-powered my boat with a newer four-stroke outboard. I would like to use my old gas tank, which held two-stroke mixed gas. Is there any way I can use the tank for the newer four-stroke? Do I need to wash it out some how? If so, how do I manage to do that?

thanks,
RW

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Using former two-stroke tank for four-stroke motor???

If it is totally empty there should be no problem with filling it with fresh gas and running it. There would be very little oil residue left in the tank. Personally, I would do it even with a small amount of treated gas in it, but would not suggest you do it.

Glenn

RogersJetboat454

Commander

As long as the tank doesn't have other junk in it, the trace amount of oil left behind shouldn't harm anything.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Even if you ran the 4 stroke on some 50-1 mix, it wouldn't hurt the motor at all. Might foul the spark plug after a while. Just empty the 2 stroke out and put in your new gas.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If it 1/2 full of 50::1 mix or less, fill it with fresh gasoline and go boating.

If more than 1/2 full, you could fill it and go boating, but is will smoke some.

If tank is more than 1/2 full, and it is easy to drain some 50::1 mix out, I would do that. If it is not easy to drain, just fill it up and smoke some...

Thanks everyone! That's good to hear... Now if I can just figure out what kind of wiring harness plug / connector is on this motor, I'll be set. Though it seems like that question is taking a while to answer, haha...

RW