What octane gas is best to use for a two stroke outboard motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

86 century

Ensign
Re: What octane gas is best to use for a two stroke outboard motor.

You Know: We could go on and on ad infinitum (can you spell redundant?) about the merits or lack thereof of various octane and brands of gasoline and additives. In fact, in previous threads we have!

The fact is this: Force engines are about as simple and old school engineering as you can get. They are not fussy at all and almost anything that burns will not harm them.

If you are going to store it for a long while: The engine simply doesn't care! I have used gas that was five years old and smelled like turpentine.

I regularly leave my gas in the tank over the winter with no additives-- The engine always fires right up the next season.

Bottom line: Use the cheapest gasoline you can find at 87 octane and the cheapest TCW-3 oil.

One of the few people that have anything good to say about force.(im with you frank I like um)
+1 to all above
Myself I run marine stabil all the time(have no clue if it does any thing but I feal better)

Anyengine

Cadet
I have found through 40 years of testing adjustments 87 tends to have better low end and 93 keeps the engine alive at high RPM in case of a High RPM lean condition . My 1995 70hp Johnson has 30 degrees timing before wide open as all outboards 4 deg idle.. A outboard engine will idle smoother on 93 but tend to have less power idle in gear 87 is more violet fast burn pushes a little better especially in a bigger boat.. I see on hear people stating a spark knock is a big problem wrong engine timing or lean condition and will burn the piston head or break a piston ring.. 87 or 93 I run 93 in my Johnson 70hp and 25hp and synthetic oil Amsoil HP- Klotz or OMC XD100 im older now and can afford it as for 87 put some in a clear glass jar and look at it in 3 weeks gone bad.. as for non ethanal every time I have to rebuild a carb all I hear is I use non ethanal I always state I don't and have no problems.. But its from non use..

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I have found through 40 years of testing adjustments 87 tends to have better low end and 93 keeps the engine alive at high RPM in case of a High RPM lean condition . My 1995 70hp Johnson has 30 degrees timing before wide open as all outboards 4 deg idle.. A outboard engine will idle smoother on 93 but tend to have less power idle in gear 87 is more violet fast burn pushes a little better especially in a bigger boat.. I see on hear people stating a spark knock is a big problem wrong engine timing or lean condition and will burn the piston head or break a piston ring.. 87 or 93 I run 93 in my Johnson 70hp and 25hp and synthetic oil Amsoil HP- Klotz or OMC XD100 im older now and can afford it as for 87 put some in a clear glass jar and look at it in 3 weeks gone bad.. as for non ethanal every time I have to rebuild a carb all I hear is I use non ethanal I always state I don't and have no problems.. But its from non use..

This thread is 6 yrs old and and the timing on a 1995 2 strk 70 hp johnson is 19 deg not 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.