fill holes from whale tail?

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer
I recently bought a motor that previously had a whale tail installed on it. Do I need to fill the holes that were ddrilled in the cavitation plate?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: fill holes from whale tail?

Not unless you just want it to look pretty. They won't hurt anything.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. Another question, I was actually given the whale tail that was on the motor. Is it worth it to put it back on? I know different people have different thoughts on it. Also, how does the whale tail impact an outboard that uses the cmc tilt and trim that is set back 6 inches.

I'm planning on restoring a 1976 starcraft 16ft supersport, and the motor did not come with power tilt and trim, so I plan to get a cmc tilt and trim as well. Motor is a '71 Merc 650.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes they help, sometimes they don't. It takes some work and setup time to know if it will help, they aren't just a bolt it on and head to the water product.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Run it with and without and see which you like better, they work really well on some boats and not so much on others so you have to try it to know.

If you want to fill the holes put some tape on the bottom of each one and fill them with JB Weld, it is sort of runny and the tape keeps it from sagging, ssand it alittle and hit it with paint and they are gone but as stated, it is more an apperance issue than performance.