What kind of gas to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DJ

Re: What kind of gas to use

Come on man! You could probably PEE in an old 3 hp tank and it would still run....:D

I won't take that as an insult. I was proving a point of: "sealed". As mentioned above. Read the whole thread.

And NO, those engines are actually sensitive to fuel quality. The carb's are small and the orifices are prone to plugging. Read the J & E thread.

We'll leave it at that.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

More stuff

Quote:
So, it is safe to assume that basically every local station sucks through the same straw from one giant milkshake? Only the flavors (additives) are different?

Yeah, with a caveat. Occasionally I'll see a batch in the pipeline tagged as "segregated", but we don't treat it any differently than the "fungible". I can't say for sure what everybody else does. It doesn't happen very often. If you really want to segregate a product, you need a dedicated tank, and that can get pretty spendy. We used to segregate some gas about 10 years ago, but I haven't seen it since then.
And the gas you get outside of the Willamette Valley from June to September is a bit different. Portland has stricter emission standards during the summer so the gas has to meet DEQ's criteria. It only affects the gas' emissions in a static state and doesn't affect the way it burns in your car.

So, yes, only the additives are different.

Quote:
If my understanding remains correct, all additives must meet the federal guidelines set forth for this particular item. I would like to compare it to generic drugs.....pay more for the name brand, but you can still kill the same back ache with the cheaper stuff.

Yep, but some additives are proprietary. I never bothered to check, but Techron might be a corporate secret. I work with a guy who used to work for Mobil's lube division, and he told me that Mobil 1's chemical composition is a closely guarded secret known only to a few of Exxon/Mobil's insiders.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Another post from the same thread by a different person in the industry.

Like 1pump stated all the gas is stored from several supliers in the same tanks. I've been hauling off the kinder Morgan pipeline which used to be owned by southern pacifc. I've been loading there for near 30 yrs. it used to be each co. had their own storage tank but now it all gets traded backin forth. If one supplier is low & doesn't have a tender comming down the pipe they will borrow from another supplier & pay them back when their product comes in. What makes it brand specific is the additive thats going in along with the 10% ethenol as I load my truck.
I work for a small jobber that was started up after wwII & was Shell. Shell pulled out of Oregon for a number of years so we switched to Texaco our buisness doubled. After a 5 yr contract we switched over our stations to Chevron & we are still pumping the same volume. A few more years & I'm going to be a full time fisherman (well when my wife lets me).

D

DJ

The question Was:

What kind of Gas to Use?

Not; what brand, etc. This thread is going off track quickly. I'm guilty too as this morphed into; storage, etc.

I believe the original poster's answer has been given. If not, they can PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.