high test gas without Ethanol - Will it run hotter ?

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good day y'awl, Just filled up a supply of gas/oil mix for my cottage outboard motor at a country gas station (Ultramar - Canada) and was supprised to see Ethanol 10% in regular and mid range gas ... but not in high test, this is new to me at that particular station (if not in my region in Canada). So I filled up with high test since it will take several months prior to burning it all and I prefered not having Ethanol in the mix for that reason. Question is: Will the motor run hotter with hight test gasoline ? Tx

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: high test gas without Ethanol - Will it run hotter ?

High test gas is not "better" gas. It is not needed for your engine and ethanol blended fuel, contrary to popular belief does not turn to sludge in a couple weeks, two months, six months, or a year. How do we know this? Been using the stuff since 1997. Add Stabil or SeaFoam and go boating. As for running hotter -- NO! Premium fuel burns slower than regular since it's main purpose in life is to prevent detonation in high compression engines (which yours is not -- even though we don't know what kind it is). There is zero benefit to burning premium fuel -- except it empties your wallet quicker.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

There is zero benefit to burning premium fuel -- except it empties your wallet quicker.
Absolutely true unless you're running a higher than normal compression ratio engine. ( that the manufacturer indicates MUST be operated on "Premium" fuel)

Timguy

Seaman

Ethanol will in time, also damage any component containing rubber. Alcohol will suspend its own weight in water and for that reason should not be stored for long periods without a stabilizing additive, or in a partially full container or in a container without a tight cap......especially in moist environments. In our remote Canadian camps we shy away from fuel containing alcohol/ethanol. Our motors are pre 1990 and rubber compositions can be damaged. Stabilizing additives are not always available or properly applied, they can add to our overhead as well.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Ethanol will not hold its own weight in water in an E-10 fuel mix.

There is no stabilizer that will stop phase separation....well except for more ethanol.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ethanol will in time, also damage any component containing rubber. Alcohol will suspend its own weight in water and for that reason should not be stored for long periods without a stabilizing additive, or in a partially full container or in a container without a tight cap......especially in moist environments. In our remote Canadian camps we shy away from fuel containing alcohol/ethanol. Our motors are pre 1990 and rubber compositions can be damaged. Stabilizing additives are not always available or properly applied, they can add to our overhead as well.
Thank you for your feedback, this seems to apply to this one litle old 6 hp motor kit sitting at the dock full time with the tank in the boat around the clock for 4 months or so, in a Canadian northern environement. Fortunatly I do have an OMC metal gas tank without a venting screw so I would presume little air/gas contact to occur.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ethanol will not hold its own weight in water in an E-10 fuel mix.

There is no stabilizer that will stop phase separation....well except for more ethanol.
I am not sure I understand this technicality ??

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Gday,Every outboard mechanic I ask re putting ethanol 10% fuel in 2 stroke answers NO.
Only recently Australia has converted the old 91 octane to 10% ethanol.Forcing most of us to go to the more expensive 95 and 98 octane.$$$$ sux.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And every mechanic on the planet blames ethanol for every engine ailment known to man. Isn't it amazing that we can store classic cars, boats, motor homes, lawn tractors, mowers, etc., for six months at a time during our long winters and they run just fine in the spring -- provided Stabil or a similar product is used. If high moisture is an issue for you -- install a water separating fuel filter and go boating. Again -- there is a bunch of hogwash being spread here.

Timguy

Seaman

I appreciate your ideas, but I have run 2 remote camps in NW Ontario since 1972 and never any fuel related problems until recent years with "modern" fuel formulations. I am not new to this business. I know how to make my equipment last.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I am not sure I understand this technicality ??

The more ethanol in the blend, the more water can be absorbed before any phase separation takes place, so this about the only thing that can help to prevent it. Other additives make vague claims as to what they may do, but all they can really help with is keeping the gas fresh for a longer period of time.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I appreciate your ideas, but I have run 2 remote camps in NW Ontario since 1972 and never any fuel related problems until recent years with "modern" fuel formulations. I am not new to this business. I know how to make my equipment last.

During the transition to "new fuels" (which took place about 20 years ago in my area) there can be many issues as the build up of gunk from the old fuel is flushed from the system by the ethanol, which is a very good system cleaner. Everything from the fuel trucks to the gas stations and your gas cans will have junk in them, this will all be cleaned out by the new fuel and find its way into your motor if the correct filter isn't used. Plus if your motors are all pre 90s models, the rubber parts were very old before the ethanol ever got to them, and depending on how old they are they may be pre-ethanol models. Any motor that old should have had most of the components that may have been susceptible to ethanol replaced a long time ago if good maintenance practices have been performed on them.

Is the new stuff great?..no?..is it the evil monster many make it out to be?..again the answer is no.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you all for your informative feedback. Considering the pros and cons and considering this small boat will only use about 10 to 15 gallons of gas mix within approx 4.5 months in a very damp environement, it would seem to me after reading the multiple opinions that I may have done the right move by using non-ethanol gas, plus additional cost $ is no issue. Main question regarding the motor running hotter with high test gas has been answered.
Cheers.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Thank you all for your informative feedback. Considering the pros and cons and considering this small boat will only use about 10 to 15 gallons of gas mix within approx 4.5 months in a very damp environement, it would seem to me after reading the multiple opinions that I may have done the right move by using non-ethanol gas, plus additional cost $ is no issue. Main question regarding the motor running hotter with high test gas has been answered.
Cheers.

If you can get NON-ethanol gas (and you decide to believe it is truly ethanol free), then run it if it makes you feel better.

Around here in the NW, it's very hard (and inconvenient) to find non-ethanol gasoline. I have run it (E10) in everything I own (except my airplane) and have never had a problem....

My boat has a 44 gallon tank. I store it (inside) for the winter with less than 1/4 tank. I don't use STABIL or any other snake oil in the fuel and just fill it up in the spring.

I have had the tank out and have NEVER found water (or anything else) in the tank.

Do that which makes you feel good.....

ymmv........:rolleyes:

Rick

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I just replaced the fuel line in a 30 year old chain saw that has seen nothing but ethanol blended fuel since 1997. The line was still soft and pliable but broke off where it enters the tank. The tank itself was absolutely spotless. This saw has cut a lot of wood and neither the engine or carb have ever been touched. Same for my mowers, weed whips, blowers, and yes -- my 1949 Johnson outboards and my newer boats. By the way -- my car uses E-85 as long as the price difference between it and regular (E-10) is 40 cents/gal or more. Regular is $3.94 today. E-85 is $3.29 today.

Timguy

Seaman

Yes the lines tend to break at the couplings. The older saws with rubber tubes soon become "punky" unless the tanks are drained for periods of non use. The early OMC's didn't have a crank seal and damage from alc. is limited to hoses and pressure tank components of rubber composition. When crankshaft seals were implemented, early compositions were not engineered to be compatible with alc. I have replaced many crank seals in saws and outboards through the 60's and 70's that were used with fuel containing alc. For this reason I cannot and will not recommend its use for equipment of this era. If you doubt my claims then try soaking a piece of rubber tubing in a bottle of ethanol pump gas for 6 or 8 months. Use a glass jar and a lid with a poor seal. If you want faster results then try E85. I really think ethanol is ok when used with proper equipment. It is certainly not to blame for all ailments. Regards, Tim

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Very convincing ... LOL I must have been reading the wrong threads regarding Ethanol .... LOL LOL Tx

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Um. Why don't you run it in yer airplane?

It's about as illegal as it can get.

Here's a great read on whatever you ever wanted to know about running mogas in an airplane engine. there's a lot of into there and some of it could apply to marine engines.......

http://www.eaa.org/autofuel/