high test gas without Ethanol - Will it run hotter ?

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: high test gas without Ethanol - Will it run hotter ?

My experience with 10% eth gas in my 2 stroke 15 and 25 hp outboards. After the gas sits for 4 or more weeks one will not start the other smokes. If I use non eth gas both start and run fine with gas that is months old. Even if I use stabil the eth gas does not start as well. So I stopped using 10 eth gas in my 2 stroke outboards. I ran 10% eth for a few years before switching back and I can see an improvement in starting and the smoke.
I live in a dry climate and store my boats inside. I also ran 10eth in my I/O for several years with no problems but used stabil. I have since switched back to non eth fuel in my I/O due to fear of issues that you hear about caused by moisture and eth fuel.

v_fourmax

Cadet

I normally try to stay away from threads regarding ethanol vs non ethanol fuel threads on the different forums I frequent but the initial question here will the higher octane fuel cause my motor to run hotter is the perception that a lot of people have concerning fuel and higher octanes.

As previously stated just the opposite will occur as the higher octane fuel will burn at a slower rate and burn cooler which in a low compression (compression ratio not requiring higher octane fuel!) 2 stroke engine will cause its own set of problems. The higher octane fuel actually requires the heat and pressures generated by the higher compression ratios to burn properly and without that will result in an incomplete burn of the fuel charge in the cylinder.

That incomplete burn can lead to a quicker and higher level of carbon buildup in the combustion chamber. With all of the research that the outboard manufacturers have done regarding the effect of the ethanol gas in their products then I would tend to think that considering the fuel conditioners and stabilizers they recommend as snake oils as just disregarding the information they are trying to pass on to their customers.

I do have one station here in my area that still sells non-ethanol 87 octane fuel at a 10 cents per gallon higher pricing than the ethanol version and I tend to buy the majority of fuel for my boat from them. But I still treat the fuel regardless. A little snake oil is a lot cheaper than a possible avoidable trip to the repair shop!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

vWith all of the research that the outboard manufacturers have done regarding the effect of the ethanol gas in their products then I would tend to think that considering the fuel conditioners and stabilizers they recommend as snake oils as just disregarding the information they are trying to pass on to their customers.[/QUOTE said:
If you look at the ingredients in some of the products marketed by the manufactures you will see many are just snake oil, with very high levels of?..guess what.....alcohol.

Timguy

Seaman

Remember that in the days of "regular" fuel octanes were higher and lead was used. The 60's and 70's equipment was engineered for these fuels. I'm talking about the best way to maintain this vintage equipment and 91 octane is not a problem with it. In my 2 strokes I have run Amsoil in ratios proportionate to engine design/year. After needle bearings 64:1 and by the mid 80's 100:1. I run 40 to 50:1 in everything else. The Amsoil pre-mix 100:1 has not failed me in 33 years of use. Carbon deposits are slowly "cleaned up" and spark plugs will last a whole season with almost daily use. The cost at 64:1 Amsoil for a 6 gallon tank is still under 1 gallon of fuel ($3.50). In the old days it took $2.00 to fill your tank and a quart of oil (recommended mix ratio) cost $.40. The cost ratio oil to fuel is better today......even with Amsoil @ $8 to $9 a quart. I do what is best for me. I can't afford to constantly replace my equipment, yet I still need to follow agressive conservation/environmental practice. We drink the water from our lakes in Ontario......and its good water. The base in synthetics is actually derived from recycled livestock......ok, then don't believe me.

riverman50

Recruit

i was told to put marine grade stabil in and i should have no problems

Timguy

Seaman

Just remember, this doesn't elliminate the alcohol.

Last edited:

Mi duckdown

Commander

Someone should tell my 1963 110 merc that ethanol sucks. It still runs like a raped ape. the carb has never been opened.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Someone should tell my 1963 110 merc that ethanol sucks. It still runs like a raped ape. the carb has never been opened.

Yeah.......every problem is blamed on E10 when someone doesn't know what's REALLY wrong...........

Timguy

Seaman

yamaha 9.9 ethanol damage 5-30-11 001.jpgyamaha 9.9 ethanol damage 5-30-11 004.jpgyamaha 9.9 ethanol damage 5-30-11 003.jpgyamaha 9.9 ethanol damage 5-30-11 002.jpgHi, here is a recent repair where this 1999 Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9 was stored with Ethanol in the fuel system. You decide for yourself what to use for fuel, but as a veteran marine mechanic......I'm going non-oxy. Regards, Tim

Timguy

Seaman

I really don't mind Ethanol.......it helps pay my mortgage!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Don't take this in the wrong way, but neither you nor anyone else has made any money off me or my friends because of E10, we've only been using it for around 20 years though. I say it that way because we don't even really talk about it here, it doesn't come up in conversations or as a problem in our boating experiences.

It has been a big deal in Oregon (the state next to us), or at least hyped a great deal and the few people that have had problems get a great deal of attention, but the reason is they just converted to E10 and are going through the change.

I must say I don't like E10 and would rather not use it, and my feelings on the reasons we are required to use it aren't for this forum, but it hasn't really caused any problems for me/us.

Now after saying all this my carb will plug up and look like the one in the pic you posted by the end of the week.

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The white crud in the photos -- is that salt? aluminium oxide? or something precipitated from the fuel?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The white crud in the photos -- is that salt? aluminium oxide? or something precipitated from the fuel?

You asked the right question.

People see something like this and instanly blame E10 whether it had anything to do with it or not, it's an easy target. I'm not saying what you see in this pic isn't the result of E10, only that I saw carbs that looked that bad or worse long before E10 was on the market anywhere ( 60's 70's and 80's).

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I run a 4 cyl SUV which consequently has borderline power compared to similar 6 cyl, and in Canada I beleve it took a little longer than in the USA for ethanol to make it's way into gasoline. 3 years ago I drove from Can to Florida on the 95 and filled up in gas stations along the way and all clearly mentioned 10% Ethanol fuel. I notice my vehicule showed less power from starting point but saw no difference cruising at highway speed. Back to Canada filling up with non ethanol and normal power was back. My vehicule specs say I can use 10% ethanol but not 85%. Now that I use 10% ethanol regulary I dont notice this difference anymore. Could it be there is more than 10% ethanol in the Usa ? Or along highways where drivers have little choice ? Donno ...
But since I filled up all my OB's gas tank with non ethanol high test gas I did notice a bit more punch (figure of speach considering low power OB's) with my Johnson 9.9 and Evinrude 6 hp ... will be taking out the Force 15 hp soon .. can wait to see how it runs with the high test mix. Yes I did mention before that I like to try thangs ... LOL

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Get yer gas where ever you want. Use the two cycle oil you want. And next time your at the fuel pump, look at the sticker that says minimum octane rating 85 or 87% octane, (depending what state you live in) It doesn't say that it is 85 or 87% octane. So is it possible that it might be higher?

Timguy

Seaman

manitou trip 6-9-11 004.jpgmanitou trip 6-9-11 003.jpgmanitou trip 6-9-11 006.jpgWe just returned from our remote Ontario camp and after running low on fuel hauling heavy cargo with the wrong prop, we were forced to run the old Canadian fuel from our storage tank there. It is a 350 Imperial gallon tank and has had about 100 gallons in it for the last 10 years. The fuel is about 15 years old now and considered "regular grade" at the time we bought it from the freighter "Teddy Davis" in '96. There is no "stabil" or any such additive in the fuel and the tank sits outside under a White Pine where the sun cannot hit it. The 1989 Merc 115 loved the fuel and never missed a beat. I usually mix it 50/50 with fresh gas (non oxy) but wanted to conserve on the fresh fuel that we had hauled in with us. We have a busy schedule this summer and fuel is at a premium price up north right now. There is no way that any "modern" gasoline would still be useful after 15 years in this environment. If ethanol would have been put in this storage tank 15 years ago, I would have had to "scrape" it out not "pump" it out. We are frugal here but not foolish. We know what works......and what you can trust your life on in the bush.