gas additives for outboards?

dryguy

Cadet
well just bought a 2 hp motor and going to break it in bought some fuel from local station but instead of ethanol it has tactrol looked it up its some sort of cleaner anyone know if its alright for an outboard?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: gas additives for outboards?

Howdy,

Here's what you probably found on the WIki....

Tactrol is Petro-Canada's trademarked name for an additive used in its petrol/gasoline.
Petro-Canada claims that Tactrol prevents the build-up of deposits in automobile engines. Tactrol is used in all Petro-Canada gasoline, but the SuperClean brand contains more Tactrol. Petro-Canada also sells Tactrol in bottles.
The formulation of Tactrol is proprietary to Petro-Canada. Petro-Canada describes Tactrol as acting "like a detergent", but there is little independent scientific verification of the efficacy and safety of this substance.
The additive package(s) in todays gasolines are designed by companies like Lubrizol, Shell Chemical, Castrol, and a few others. They are fairly standardized (and EPA approved) They get many trade names like Tactrol, Techron, etc.

The additives are not usually made by the gasoline refineries but are made by Lubrizol and those other manufacturers. Tactrol may not even be made by Petro-Canada.....

It's a marketing name. Go hang around a refinery some time......you'll see all sorts of different trucks lining up to load there! (they all load from the same "stream")

Regards,

Rick

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Any "pump" gas is ok to use. All the outboard manufacturers indicate that current gasolines are "ok" to use.

DO NOT USE ANY GAS from a pump that indicates ethanol content higher than 10% (E15, E85 etc)

Ethanol is currently the only oxygenate approved for use in the US (maybe for political reasons:rolleyes:)

If Ethanol bothers you, there's stationsw in the US and Canada that claim to provide ethanol free fuel if you want.

http://pure-gas.org/

I don't know if the stations are current or if they guarantee lack of ethanol.

If you're worried about it, get an ethanol testing kit from EAA or other supplier and test the fuel.

Cheers,

Rick

85 BOMBER

Seaman

StarTron by StarBrite is sold at Napa Auto Parts, and it eliminates the ethanol from the gasoline. Ethanol is an excellent cleaner, but has less energy per gallon than gasoline, thus resulting in less fuel mileage. Ethanol can be harmful to 2stroke engines. The only oil the engine receives is what is in the gasoline, but the ethanol will wash the oil off of the cylinder walls causing the piston to come back up dry, which will result in premature engine wear. Good investment for about $10 per bottle. It will also rejuvenate "old" gas, and keeps fuel fresh for up to 2 years. Give it a shot. Even has a water remover to get rid of any moisture you may have in the tank. Hope this helps!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

StarTron by StarBrite is sold at Napa Auto Parts, and it eliminates the ethanol from the gasoline. Ethanol is an excellent cleaner, but has less energy per gallon than gasoline, thus resulting in less fuel mileage. Ethanol can be harmful to 2stroke engines. The only oil the engine receives is what is in the gasoline, but the ethanol will wash the oil off of the cylinder walls causing the piston to come back up dry, which will result in premature engine wear. Good investment for about $10 per bottle. It will also rejuvenate "old" gas, and keeps fuel fresh for up to 2 years. Give it a shot. Even has a water remover to get rid of any moisture you may have in the tank. Hope this helps!

Almost every word of what you just typed is false.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

WOW, so you are suggesting that people increase their cost at each fill up by $10 based on something that you obviously read off the label of the product which is so far from the truth that it's borderline comical.

If what you said was true then anyone running ethanol gas without an additive would be replacing their motor every boating season, now seriously, where did you get this information from, the label or did you make it up?

85 BOMBER

Seaman

http://www.evinrude-parts.com/outboard_marine_fuel_gas_recommendations.html
Even Evinrude tells that it's harmful. Outboard repair shops here in the south are full of small outboards needing repairs due to ethanol.Star Tron Convert

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Suzuki Outboard Forum

I had been having increasingly poor idle and poor low RPM performance. Starting as like a magic trick with setting a high idle and quickly shifting into gear, hopeing it would not stall. My DF 70 would cut off and the worst times....approaching the dock...slow maneuvering etc. The problem started slowly last year and has gotten worse until I felt that the shop was the next stop.

I fuss over my engine and keep it up well. Cleaning and checking here and there. I new set of plugs did not help. I blew out the fuel system and checked for water. Cleaned all the filters. All clear. I regularly run Suzuki brand fuel injector cleaner mixed with the fuel.

I did a lot reading and researching and decided to run some Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment. BINGO! With the first 6 gallons things started looking up. Better idle and starting. Smoother low PRM running.

24 gallons later. Have my old DF 70 back with all the great performance I was used to.

Damned E 10 fuel to hell. Put the corn on the plant not in the fuel tank.

I am a Star Tron fan and plan to be using it for a long time.

Bone Shaker

Straight from StarTron's website:

WHERE TO BUY: Gas Formula Diesel Formula Tank Cleaner

Display OptionsHOME
ABOUT STAR TRON
WHAT IS STAR TRON?
VIDEOS
FREQUENT QUESTIONS
MANUFACTURING FACILITIES
ETHANOL / E10
ETHANOL 101 PDF
ABOUT ETHANOL / E10 FUEL
ETHANOL RELATED LINKS
PRODUCTS / MSDS
WHERE TO BUY
STAR TRON PRODUCTS
DOWNLOAD CATALOG PDF
MSDS - GAS SEF 143XX
MSDS - GAS 930XX
MSDS - DIESEL 931XX
MSDS - DIESEL SEF 144XX
MSDS - TANK CLEANER
APPLICATIONS
ATV
AUTO
MOTORCYCLE
FARM
LAWN
MARINE
RV
SNOW
TRUCK
TESTIMONIALS
READ TESTIMONIALS
PRESS
PRINT ADS
EDITORIALS
GREEN STATEMENT
CONTACT US
CONTACT FORM
USA DIRECTORY
INTERNATIONAL
INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTORS
JOIN MAILING LIST
LINKS
HOME APPLICATIONS MARINE
MARINEStar Tron? Enzyme Fuel Treatment is a revolutionary new fuel additive using enzyme technology to enhance the performance of boats, automobiles, trucks, RVs, tractors, farm equipment, generators, lawn mowers, lawn equipment, oil burning furnaces and all other small engines.

Dramatically Increases Fuel Economy
Star Tron? cleans the entire fuel delivery system, removing performance robbing gum and varnish deposits while modifying how gas and diesel burn, this results in more complete and uniform combustion and therefore better fuel economy.

Eliminates Black Soot and Exhaust Stains
With the removal of harmful engine deposits and an increase in combustion efficiency, exhaust emissions are greatly reduced. This results in cleaner air and cleaner boat transoms as black exhaust smoke is noticeably reduced.

Removes Carbon Build-Up
Carbon deposit formation is a byproduct of unburned fuel in the combustion process. Star Tron's enzymes will break down and disperse these deposits restoring engine performance as it also modifes the fuel to prevent future carbon deposits.

Disperses Bacteria
Commonly referred to as "diesel algae," these microbial spores will colonize in the water phase. Startron slowly disperses bacteria: the fungi, mold, and yeast, collectively known in the fuel industry as "diesel algae", allowing the fuel filtration system to function efficiently.

Stabilizes Gas & Diesel Fuels
Gas and diesel fuels break down rapidly which results in lost power and poor performance. Star Tron stabilizes the fuel chemistry for up to two years in gas and two years in diesel.

Eliminates & Prevents Ethanol Fuel Problems
Ethanol / E10 fuels increase the amounts of water and sludge in your fuel tank. Star Tron breaks down this excess water and sludge to sub-micron size allowing it to be safely burned away during normal engine operation. Therefore Star Tron prevents phase separation and fuel gelling, eliminating ethanol fuel problems.

Star Tron Is Ideal For All Engines, Including:
ATVs, Cars, Trucks, Boats (2-cycle & 4-cycle), Lawn Mowers, Generator, Heavy Equipment, Snowmobiles, RVs, WeedEaters, Personal Watercraft, Diesel Engines

[ Back ]
MARINE TESTIMONIALS

Miss Piggy Marine - New York
Marine Testimonials
I purchased a 1989 Grady White Offshore 24 with a 2 stoke 225 HP Yamaha Excel. The boat was on the hard for maybe 2 years with full fuel tanks. I suspect the owner only ran off the main 95 gallon tank, and saved the 55 aux. tank for emergancy. Needless to say, I was lazy and just dropped her in and started using it. The (3) carbs got gummed up. The motor simply wouldn't idle and ran poorley at speed. Another Grady white owner turned me on to STAR TRON. 20 bucks, got nothing to loose....
Read more...

Do a google search and see for yourself.

Sixmark

http://www.evinrude-parts.com/outboard_marine_fuel_gas_recommendations.html
Even Evinrude tells that it's harmful. Outboard repair shops here in the south are full of small outboards needing repairs due to ethanol.Star Tron Convert

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Suzuki Outboard Forum

I had been having increasingly poor idle and poor low RPM performance. Starting as like a magic trick with setting a high idle and quickly shifting into gear, hopeing it would not stall. My DF 70 would cut off and the worst times....approaching the dock...slow maneuvering etc. The problem started slowly last year and has gotten worse until I felt that the shop was the next stop.

I fuss over my engine and keep it up well. Cleaning and checking here and there. I new set of plugs did not help. I blew out the fuel system and checked for water. Cleaned all the filters. All clear. I regularly run Suzuki brand fuel injector cleaner mixed with the fuel.

I did a lot reading and researching and decided to run some Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment. BINGO! With the first 6 gallons things started looking up. Better idle and starting. Smoother low PRM running.

24 gallons later. Have my old DF 70 back with all the great performance I was used to.

Damned E 10 fuel to hell. Put the corn on the plant not in the fuel tank.

I am a Star Tron fan and plan to be using it for a long time.

Bone Shaker

Straight from StarTron's website:

WHERE TO BUY: Gas Formula Diesel Formula Tank Cleaner

Display OptionsHOME
ABOUT STAR TRON
WHAT IS STAR TRON?
VIDEOS
FREQUENT QUESTIONS
MANUFACTURING FACILITIES
ETHANOL / E10
ETHANOL 101 PDF
ABOUT ETHANOL / E10 FUEL
ETHANOL RELATED LINKS
PRODUCTS / MSDS
WHERE TO BUY
STAR TRON PRODUCTS
DOWNLOAD CATALOG PDF
MSDS - GAS SEF 143XX
MSDS - GAS 930XX
MSDS - DIESEL 931XX
MSDS - DIESEL SEF 144XX
MSDS - TANK CLEANER
APPLICATIONS
ATV
AUTO
MOTORCYCLE
FARM
LAWN
MARINE
RV
SNOW
TRUCK
TESTIMONIALS
READ TESTIMONIALS
PRESS
PRINT ADS
EDITORIALS
GREEN STATEMENT
CONTACT US
CONTACT FORM
USA DIRECTORY
INTERNATIONAL
INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTORS
JOIN MAILING LIST
LINKS
HOME APPLICATIONS MARINE
MARINEStar Tron? Enzyme Fuel Treatment is a revolutionary new fuel additive using enzyme technology to enhance the performance of boats, automobiles, trucks, RVs, tractors, farm equipment, generators, lawn mowers, lawn equipment, oil burning furnaces and all other small engines.

Dramatically Increases Fuel Economy
Star Tron? cleans the entire fuel delivery system, removing performance robbing gum and varnish deposits while modifying how gas and diesel burn, this results in more complete and uniform combustion and therefore better fuel economy.

Eliminates Black Soot and Exhaust Stains
With the removal of harmful engine deposits and an increase in combustion efficiency, exhaust emissions are greatly reduced. This results in cleaner air and cleaner boat transoms as black exhaust smoke is noticeably reduced.

Removes Carbon Build-Up
Carbon deposit formation is a byproduct of unburned fuel in the combustion process. Star Tron's enzymes will break down and disperse these deposits restoring engine performance as it also modifes the fuel to prevent future carbon deposits.

Disperses Bacteria
Commonly referred to as "diesel algae," these microbial spores will colonize in the water phase. Startron slowly disperses bacteria: the fungi, mold, and yeast, collectively known in the fuel industry as "diesel algae", allowing the fuel filtration system to function efficiently.

Stabilizes Gas & Diesel Fuels
Gas and diesel fuels break down rapidly which results in lost power and poor performance. Star Tron stabilizes the fuel chemistry for up to two years in gas and two years in diesel.

Eliminates & Prevents Ethanol Fuel Problems
Ethanol / E10 fuels increase the amounts of water and sludge in your fuel tank. Star Tron breaks down this excess water and sludge to sub-micron size allowing it to be safely burned away during normal engine operation. Therefore Star Tron prevents phase separation and fuel gelling, eliminating ethanol fuel problems.

Star Tron Is Ideal For All Engines, Including:
ATVs, Cars, Trucks, Boats (2-cycle & 4-cycle), Lawn Mowers, Generator, Heavy Equipment, Snowmobiles, RVs, WeedEaters, Personal Watercraft, Diesel Engines

[ Back ]
MARINE TESTIMONIALS

Miss Piggy Marine - New York
Marine Testimonials
I purchased a 1989 Grady White Offshore 24 with a 2 stoke 225 HP Yamaha Excel. The boat was on the hard for maybe 2 years with full fuel tanks. I suspect the owner only ran off the main 95 gallon tank, and saved the 55 aux. tank for emergancy. Needless to say, I was lazy and just dropped her in and started using it. The (3) carbs got gummed up. The motor simply wouldn't idle and ran poorley at speed. Another Grady white owner turned me on to STAR TRON. 20 bucks, got nothing to loose....
Read more...

Do a google search and see for yourself.

Just as I thought you got information passed on "Straight from their website"

Sixmark

and exactly where is this information regarding how the ethanol makes the cylinder dry out on the return stroke?

85 BOMBER

Seaman

www.mystarbrite.com

STAR TRON FREQUENT QUESTIONS Will Star tron work on already degraded fuel?

Q. Will Star tron work with gasoline or diesel fuel that already shows signs of degradation?

A. Star tron should reverse any degradation that already exists in fuel. Add the recommended dosage for the full capacity of your tank and top off with fresh fuel. The fuel will return to its natural color within a short period of time.

[ Back ]
Star brite Corporation 2008

85 BOMBER

Seaman

Just as I thought you got information passed on "Straight from their website"

If you read the post you were talking about, you would have seen at the top that they were not from StarTron's site, but from Evinrude.com and Suzuki Outboard Forum. I don't have anything to prove here. I see the aftermath in the shops all the time. Sure, I use the product, and I have no problems. I just thought I would pass on some info to someone asking about using fuel additives. I'm not trying to sway your vote. Use it or not, it's still a great product. And in case your wondering, no, I'm not a Startron rep.

Sixmark

"A. Star tron should reverse any degradation that already exists in fuel. Add the recommended dosage for the full capacity of your tank and top off with fresh fuel. The fuel will return to its natural color within a short period of time."

Again I will ask you where does that say anything like:

"The only oil the engine receives is what is in the gasoline, but the ethanol will wash the oil off of the cylinder walls causing the piston to come back up dry, which will result in premature engine wear."

Sta-Bil makes an additive that removes ethanol also (blue instead of red) . Outboard mechanics I have spoken with all say that ethanol is bad for two stoke engines. If I can't find non-ethanol gas for my evinrude outboard, I make sure to add the sta-bil when I fill up. If nothing else, it's cheap insurance. My motor seems to be running smoother since I have made it a point to stay away from the ethanol...

Sta-Bil makes an additive that removes ethanol also (blue instead of red) . Outboard mechanics I have spoken with all say that ethanol is bad for two stoke engines. If I can't find non-ethanol gas for my evinrude outboard, I make sure to add the sta-bil when I fill up. If nothing else, it's cheap insurance. My motor seems to be running smoother since I have made it a point to stay away from the ethanol...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

So now there are two products that remove ethanol from the fuel.......well.....I just don't know what to say.

firstboatbuild

Seaman Apprentice

2004 Otimax 150 and has to replace all the injectors. Took it all the way to Merc to try to find out. They found the cause was the ethonal in the fuel was not allowing the proper oil mix and was carrying to much water to the injectors. The injectors are very sensitve to anything but fuel. They even warn against even using starting fluid or anything else it these engines. I have used the stabil for years and has never let me down. When using it the engine preforms better and have no more problems.

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

There is no way those products "remove" ethanol from fuel. Think of it this way, 1 gallon of gas is 128 ounces. E10 fuel is 90% gas, and 10% ethanol, or 115.2 oz of gas, and 12.8 oz of ethanol.

If you put that additive in a gallon of gas I'll guarantee that you will still have 128 oz of fluid in that gas can (plus however much additive you poured in). Ethanol doesn't just magically dissapear by pouring in some additive.

Most of these additives help "neutralize" the bad effects of ethanol, and help prevent phase separation (where the gas and ethanol seperate in your tank like Italian salad dressing, a bad thing).