Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

gas additives for outboards?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas additives for outboards?

well just bought a 2 hp motor and going to break it in bought some fuel from local station but instead of ethanol it has tactrol looked it up its some sort of cleaner anyone know if its alright for an outboard?

Re: gas additives for outboards?

Howdy,

Here's what you probably found on the WIki....

Tactrol is Petro-Canada's trademarked name for an additive used in its petrol/gasoline.
    Petro-Canada claims that Tactrol prevents the build-up of deposits in automobile engines. Tactrol is used in all Petro-Canada gasoline, but the SuperClean brand contains more Tactrol. Petro-Canada also sells Tactrol in bottles.
    The formulation of Tactrol is proprietary to Petro-Canada. Petro-Canada describes Tactrol as acting "like a detergent", but there is little independent scientific verification of the efficacy and safety of this substance.
    The additive package(s) in todays gasolines are designed by companies like Lubrizol, Shell Chemical, Castrol, and a few others. They are fairly standardized (and EPA approved) They get many trade names like Tactrol, Techron, etc.

The additives are not usually made by the gasoline refineries but are made by Lubrizol and those other manufacturers. Tactrol may not even be made by Petro-Canada.....

It's a marketing name. Go hang around a refinery some time......you'll see all sorts of different trucks lining up to load there! (they all load from the same "stream")

Regards,

Rick
    Last edited by HT32BSX115; May 17th, 2011, 12:35 PM. Reason: grammer !!
    1987 FourWinns 211 Liberator, Originally an OMC 460 King Cobra.
    Re-powered in 2006 with a 1997 Mercruiser 7.4L Bravo III

Comment

so ok to use then?

Comment

Any "pump" gas is ok to use. All the outboard manufacturers indicate that current gasolines are "ok" to use.

DO NOT USE ANY GAS from a pump that indicates ethanol content higher than 10% (E15, E85 etc)

Ethanol is currently the only oxygenate approved for use in the US (maybe for political reasons)

If Ethanol bothers you, there's stationsw in the US and Canada that claim to provide ethanol free fuel if you want.

http://pure-gas.org/

I don't know if the stations are current or if they guarantee lack of ethanol.

If you're worried about it, get an ethanol testing kit from EAA or other supplier and test the fuel.

Cheers,

Rick
        1987 FourWinns 211 Liberator, Originally an OMC 460 King Cobra.
        Re-powered in 2006 with a 1997 Mercruiser 7.4L Bravo III

Comment

StarTron by StarBrite is sold at Napa Auto Parts, and it eliminates the ethanol from the gasoline. Ethanol is an excellent cleaner, but has less energy per gallon than gasoline, thus resulting in less fuel mileage. Ethanol can be harmful to 2stroke engines. The only oil the engine receives is what is in the gasoline, but the ethanol will wash the oil off of the cylinder walls causing the piston to come back up dry, which will result in premature engine wear. Good investment for about $10 per bottle. It will also rejuvenate "old" gas, and keeps fuel fresh for up to 2 years. Give it a shot. Even has a water remover to get rid of any moisture you may have in the tank. Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by 85 BOMBER View Post
            StarTron by StarBrite is sold at Napa Auto Parts, and it eliminates the ethanol from the gasoline. Ethanol is an excellent cleaner, but has less energy per gallon than gasoline, thus resulting in less fuel mileage. Ethanol can be harmful to 2stroke engines. The only oil the engine receives is what is in the gasoline, but the ethanol will wash the oil off of the cylinder walls causing the piston to come back up dry, which will result in premature engine wear. Good investment for about $10 per bottle. It will also rejuvenate "old" gas, and keeps fuel fresh for up to 2 years. Give it a shot. Even has a water remover to get rid of any moisture you may have in the tank. Hope this helps!
            Almost every word of what you just typed is false.

Comment

Originally posted by 85 BOMBER View Post
              WOW, so you are suggesting that people increase their cost at each fill up by $10 based on something that you obviously read off the label of the product which is so far from the truth that it's borderline comical.

If what you said was true then anyone running ethanol gas without an additive would be replacing their motor every boating season, now seriously, where did you get this information from, the label or did you make it up?
              1985 Baretta Vanguard 16ft & 1984 Evinrude 75hp O/B

****Running your motor without water is like peeing into the wind, it's a stupid impulse that is going to be a mess later****

Comment

http://www.evinrude-parts.com/outboa...endations.html

Comment

Just as I thought you got information passed on "Straight from their website"

****Running your motor without water is like peeing into the wind, it's a stupid impulse that is going to be a mess later****

Comment

and exactly where is this information regarding how the ethanol makes the cylinder dry out on the return stroke?

Comment

www.mystarbrite.com

STAR TRON FREQUENT QUESTIONS Will Star tron work on already degraded fuel?

Q. Will Star tron work with gasoline or diesel fuel that already shows signs of degradation?

A. Star tron should reverse any degradation that already exists in fuel. Add the recommended dosage for the full capacity of your tank and top off with fresh fuel. The fuel will return to its natural color within a short period of time.

[ Back ]
                      Star brite Corporation 2008

Comment

Just as I thought you got information passed on "Straight from their website"

If you read the post you were talking about, you would have seen at the top that they were not from StarTron's site, but from Evinrude.com and Suzuki Outboard Forum. I don't have anything to prove here. I see the aftermath in the shops all the time. Sure, I use the product, and I have no problems. I just thought I would pass on some info to someone asking about using fuel additives. I'm not trying to sway your vote. Use it or not, it's still a great product. And in case your wondering, no, I'm not a Startron rep.

Comment

"A. Star tron should reverse any degradation that already exists in fuel. Add the recommended dosage for the full capacity of your tank and top off with fresh fuel. The fuel will return to its natural color within a short period of time."

Again I will ask you where does that say anything like:

"The only oil the engine receives is what is in the gasoline, but the ethanol will wash the oil off of the cylinder walls causing the piston to come back up dry, which will result in premature engine wear."

Comment

Sea Foam | E-85 Fuels and Sea Foam

Ethanol tends to strip engine oil from cylinder walls and can be harsh on ... Helps prevent corrosion issues common to E-85 fuels and removes moisture - Add ...
                            http://www.seafoamsales.com/e-85-fue...-sea-foam.html - Cached - Simila

Comment

Sta-Bil makes an additive that removes ethanol also (blue instead of red) . Outboard mechanics I have spoken with all say that ethanol is bad for two stoke engines. If I can't find non-ethanol gas for my evinrude outboard, I make sure to add the sta-bil when I fill up. If nothing else, it's cheap insurance. My motor seems to be running smoother since I have made it a point to stay away from the ethanol...

Comment

Working...
                              X