Whale Tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

girtgist

Seaman Apprentice
Could i mount a whale tail on the bottom of this motor. There is this little fin pointing down that might not allow it. As you can tell i'm new to boating, and know that the whale tail will help my light bow. Any guess at the age of this 70 hp evanrude. Thank you for your time.

Girt

Attachments

• new boat 012.jpg
    new boat 012.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 0
  • new boat 013.jpg
    new boat 013.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Whale Tail

Looks like the motor is an 88.
Yes you could fit a foil to that motor.The anode fin does not interfere with it.
While the foil can be effective it usually is a bandaid covering a poor setup.
Water soaked foam under the floor,too small of a motor,too much prop,
poor weight distribution.motor in poor tune etc.
Also if the motor is setup too low the fin will cause problems with handling.
Idealy the antivent (cavitation)plate just above the prop should be about even with the bottom of the boat or slightly higher.
Tell us about your setup.Boat? Motor?prop size?present max rpm and speed.
Describe performance,hole shot? cruising speed etc.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I have a "whale tail" on my 17' bowrider that has a Force 85 HP O/B. I've been asking questions here re: effectiveness of the whale tail & have been told to try it with & without. It does seem to run just fine with it on, I ran all last year with it on (first year with a boat myself). I didn't try it without yet but will now that the new season is approaching. I removed it for storage over the winter. I asked if this boat came from the factory with the tail on it because every boat I've seen like mine has one on it, it did not come from factory so this tells me something right there. Anyway, if the boat is running & tracking fine I wouldn't bother with a tail. It will create drag for one thing. Try the boat out & see how it runs.

girtgist

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you steelespike, and Maxxie. Just got the boat today and will give all the spec's later. On the test drive the bow did come up pretty high until we got some speed. I'll just put a little more weight in the front and play with the tilt while underway. Still thinking about a foil/tail for the motor, that will at least cut down on the bow coming high out of the water on take off.

bassman284

Commander

Did you trim all the way in before you took off? That will help keep the nose down during acceleration, then when you get on plane, trim out until you quit getting spray off the cavitation plate. May not need the whale tail at all.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Avoid the whale tail...... you have electric Tilt and trim ...... you just need to learn to master it!

girtgist

Seaman Apprentice

Hey thank's Bob, that's what i'm learning. Just waiting for the lakes up here in the north, still got alot of ice.

girtgist

Seaman Apprentice

The boat is an Eagle 371, that's all i know about it i have a post in one of the other forum's with pick's. Nobody seem's to know about this boat or who really made it. The post is on the Boat topic's and Question's. Look for Eagle 371 with pic's any answer's would be very welcome. Girt

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Check your other post ;)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

How long is the boat?What is the capacity?horsepower rating?
If its a 16 I would guess its about 900lbs dry.
Check my post above about motor height etc.Could mean quicker hole shot and more speed.
max rpm and speed is the best way to tell if the boat is setup right.
Prop- size is likely under the prop nut.

Status
Not open for further replies.