Convert Stick Steering motor to Steering wheel

I am looking to buy a motor for my boat. It is a side console with steering wheel. Found a stick steering motor for a good price, but was wondering how hard and around how much it would cost to convert the motor in my boat. I have read some other posts about tiller steering, is this the same principle? Thanks for the help....

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Convert Stick Steering motor to Steering wheel

That is exactly what tiller steering is. I don't know how much or what it would take to convert, but are you sure you dont want tiller steering? What kind of boat, what are you using it for would make a big difference in answers.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It is not difficult to convert stick (not tiller) steering to your wheel and cable once you know exactly what you have.

I am going to move this to Non-repair outboard topics, where you can probably get plenty of help.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Whatever this motor might be has abit to do with how it gets done...

That is exactly what tiller steering is. I don't know how much or what it would take to convert, but are you sure you dont want tiller steering? What kind of boat, what are you using it for would make a big difference in answers.

I was under the impression a tiller driven motor you have to control from the rear of the boat, and stick steering is made for the front. It is a shift stick you move back and forth to turn the motor. It is a 15' fiberglass bass boat, so I am not interested in the tiller. Thanks for your help guys, but I've decided to break down and get my motor fixed. EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If it is a stick steer then it has a steering cable and should hook right into your existing boat, not posting what engine and year makes it alittle hard to say.

What is wrong with your currant engine?