When year did fuel injection begin in outboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasEaterLA

Recruit
I'm looking to buy an older model used bass boat, but i want to get a fuel injected outboard. To help eliminate alot of trips looking at boats, I am asking for help on the following:

What year & model did Johnson, Evinrude, Yamaha and Mercury start producing the fuel injected engines?

Thanks,

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: When year did fuel injection begin in outboards?

Gas, You might want to further clarify. The early and current "vanilla" Fuel injection on Outboards is a slight improvement over carb induction. Fuel usage is pretty much the same as is polution.

Direct Injection Outboards are a whole 'nother animal. They offer much better fuel economy and much lower polution, but are much more sophisticated.

Which do you want to discuss?

GasEaterLA

Recruit

Ok, in the years 1995 thru 2000, which outboard make & models were fuel injected? Thanks.

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most all offered them in some fashion through those years. I like the Yamaha OX66 best.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Yamaha came out with their fuel injection in 1997, the same model year as the debut of Evinrude FICHT and Mercury Optimax which are theoretically fuel injected motors. Mercury had traditional fuel injection engines for some years before that. The early ones were analog based and were troublesome, then they switched to a digital setup which was more reliable and efficient.

I think Suzuki came out with EFI a year or two before Yamaha, but I'm not sure when.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I don't know if I would want one, that is right I the time period where that was introduced and I know the early Fichts were pretty terrible.

Why do you want an engine that is more complicated with more things to break, the carb engines are more reliable and alot simpler, I personnaly woudl; stick with a carbbed engine I can work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.