DIY hydraulic trim/tilt

64osby

Admiral

robert graham

Admiral
Re: DIY hydraulic trim/tilt

Badburn, I gotta hand it to you, that's a fine looking unit, takes a lot of mechanical skills to design and build something like that. Please keep us posted on how it works! Good Luck!

Badburn

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the kind words guys. This project has come along well. I made a small aluminum bracket to hold the relays. Solder and heat shrink on all the connectors.

trim20.JPG

I decided to mount them near the battery (battery is directly behind the relays) to minimize the length of the 10 guage power supply wires, and also to keep it away from moisture.

trim21.JPG

It works perfectly, and my son and I are in the process of fine tuning the motor height. Trimming the motor up and down changes the height of the prop a bunch. When we started, the anti cavitation plate was 6-1/2 inches below the bottom of the boat with the motor trimmed all the way down. We raised it 1-1/2 inches and it's feeling better. Here is a video. This boat used to break water within a foot of the bow, and it would spray you in the face while driving. Much much better as you can see.

[video]www.westcoastoutlaws.com/trim22.MOV[/video]

portagebobby

Cadet

i just bought a 98 35hp and it has t/t.haven't had a chance to use it yet, but was wondering how you like your 35 and if you've had any mechanical problems with it yet?

Badburn

Seaman Apprentice

i just bought a 98 35hp and it has t/t.haven't had a chance to use it yet, but was wondering how you like your 35 and if you've had any mechanical problems with it yet?

It seems like a pretty good motor. Mine is an '81 model. I rebuilt the powerhead this winter after it broke a piston skirt off- and spit it out through the side of the crankcase. I guess that would fall into the mechanical problem category :)

MyShop

Recruit
Impressed with your project and planning to do the same thing. It would help to know the distance to the upper pivot point - say from the upper mounting bolts (the holes that are 10" apart) up to the pivot hole on the 4" channel - or the distance from some other good place to measure. By the way, about the relays and switches - I bought all the factory parts on eBay at great prices. I think the whole relay box was about $40. The trim switch for the guage was maybe $15, etc. You did good work making it on your own. Hope your system is working great. Let me know any measurements you can get. Many Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Impressed with your project and planning to do the same thing. It would help to know the distance to the upper pivot point - say from the upper mounting bolts (the holes that are 10" apart) up to the pivot hole on the 4" channel - or the distance from some other good place to measure. By the way, about the relays and switches - I bought all the factory parts on eBay at great prices. I think the whole relay box was about $40. The trim switch for the guage was maybe $15, etc. You did good work making it on your own. Hope your system is working great. Let me know any measurements you can get. Many Thanks.

He hasn't been here in 2 years! Read the Help Tip on top of the page. Thanks.