Would you buy a 1989 Gamefisher 7.5 HP?

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking at a couple of boats, mainly for the engines. As luck would have it, the boat I like best and the motor I like best aren't attached to each other.

One of the motors I'm considering is an 89 Gamefisher 7.5 HP with supposedly very low hours. I'm also looking at a 90 Yamaha of similar HP but the owner says it has a lot of trolling hours on it. Plus, it's on an older boat that's not in terribly good shape.

My questions:

1) Who made this model?
2) Are parts are easily available?
3) Is this something I should consider buying or should I pass in favor of a 'name' brand?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Would you buy a 1989 Gamefisher 7.5 HP?

1) Who made this model?
Force

2) Are parts are easily available?
Some yes, a lot no (probably not the ones you need) Some available here on Iboats, some at your Mercury dealer, Ebay too. Common maintenance stuff, impeller, fuel pump kit, is easy to find. Just hope it doesn't need something major.

3) Is this something I should consider buying or should I pass in favor of a 'name' brand?
I'd look else where, depends on price and condition.

I have a 88 (or is it a 89?) Gamefisher 7.5 and it's a pretty good outboard for my 14' jon boat. The 7.5HP is a de-tuned 9.9/15HP Force. The outboard has served me well of 3 years, but an ignition coil went out and I had to spend $150+ for an ignition upgrade.

One thing I've heard a lot of people say, they can't get Forces worked on, mention Gamefisher and it's even worse. If you do you own work (as I do) then parts availability is the worst thing to overcome.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

If its not what you want then wait until something better comes along.
You can always sell the Gamefisher and buy the outboard you want.
Sears still sells parts for them but the only drawback is that the parts are expensive compared to a JohnnyRude.

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not me. Had a 1980 7.5hp GF made by Eska. It was the pitts i mean the parts were costly, not too reliable and when it did run fine there was just not alot of power, plus i dont think they have alot of re-sell value.
Now the one you are considering is made by Force which i dont know but i think its just that name "GameFisher" that turns me off.
No offensive to you current GF owners who have a good running motor

fishrdan

Admiral

Had a 1980 7.5hp GF made by Eska.

Me too. But, a 7.5 Eska is no comparison to a 7.5 Force.

At one time I had a 5HP Gamefisher/Force, a 7.5HP Gamefisher/Eska, and the 7.5HP Gamefisher/Force I now own. I took all of them out on my 14' jon boat to compare them and the 5HP Force and 7.5HP Eska had the same power, I couldn't tell the difference between them,,, besides the Eska vibrating like *ell. The 7.5HP Force blew both of them out of the water, huge power difference.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

No way on the gamefisher/force, I repaired one for a customer not to long ago that needed impeller(4hp). Original impeller was NLA and was $56 but updated and new impeller was $109 and you had to change housing also.