AFA Marine (www.smalloutboards.com)

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but it looks like people here know what they are talking about. I thought I'd ask around about this company AFA Marine, it's listed under: http://www.smalloutboards.com/ This guy says he's been around for 10 years now and researching the site says the domain name has been registered since 2001. Doing more searching, I can't find anything on the internet about this being a scam, or anyone having actually purchased from this guy... He has "testimonials" listed on his site but that doesn't mean much when you can't contact the supposed buyers...

Has anyone had any experience with buying a motor from him? I'm interested in buying one of his Merc's, but something seems sketchy... Thoughts?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: AFA Marine (www.smalloutboards.com)

Buying any used outboard is like buying a horse, "buyer beware"!

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

Some of there prices seem very very high for what they are. I dont like the fact that they dont warrenty alot of there motors. Most junk yards selling you a used automotive engine will give you some kind of warrenty

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

He's legit...But read between the lines on whatever you are interested in.

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear he's legitimate. I was looking at one of the new 25hp four stroke Merc's. $2750 is a good deal. The best local deal I can find is $3850 or $3450 for the Tohatsu which from what I've read is the exact same motor... Anyone know of a place to find a better deal? Possibly in Canada? Thanks!

zigzag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that sure is a lot of money to be sending off to someone you're unsure of. i'd keep shopping around and see what turns up. i'd much rather deal with someone in person when it comes to that much cash!

0976claxton

Seaman Apprentice

wondering if you eventually purchased your motor from smalloutboards.com. i'm also looking at the very same motor and the prices seem to be extremely reasonable for new motors.

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but it looks like people here know what they are talking about. I thought I'd ask around about this company AFA Marine, it's listed under: http://www.smalloutboards.com/ This guy says he's been around for 10 years now and researching the site says the domain name has been registered since 2001. Doing more searching, I can't find anything on the internet about this being a scam, or anyone having actually purchased from this guy... He has "testimonials" listed on his site but that doesn't mean much when you can't contact the supposed buyers...

Has anyone had any experience with buying a motor from him? I'm interested in buying one of his Merc's, but something seems sketchy... Thoughts?

Nope, haven't purchased anything from the site yet. I don't plan on buying until early 2011 so I'm still searching around. If you take the leap and buy from this guy let me know how it goes....

Cheers

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

Hes good, motors are high, but he gives alot for motors. He offered to buy my merc 25 for $1,000 even. Unheard of for a dealer to give that much....so he has to make a living some how. Just doing what anyone else would do, making that top dollar.

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since you are in Canada....I know that I have seen adv. from Canadian resorts where they trade their motors every couple of years. They claim low mileage and good maintenance. Wonder if you could find someone not too far away that would sell you one directly? I think that I saw the adv. on Ebay, but I am not sure.

regards, rich

Ironpig

Seaman

Where abouts are you in Canada? May be able to direct you to someone out west here that deals in good used motors.

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer

They are a legit business,also a very good honest business.The 25hp merc are darn near impossible to beat for the price as i am going to buy one here very soon and that motor will be my keeper forever.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Please read rule #12, Jim, and the BIG RED BANNER that asked you not to post to this thread.