1989 Capri 1750 CS

doyle101

Recruit
Just curious I know the engine is a 2.3L 130 HP sterndrive.<br /><br />Anyone have any Insight on this? Thinking of buying a neghibors Bayliner.<br /><br />Just was curious how reliable are these engines, and what about matnience? Having hard time find specs on older bayliners on the net. <br /><br />What about pulling skiers? Etc, 1989 1750CS bayliner. Let me know all anyone knows about them so I make a call on it..<br /> <br /><br />Thanks <br /><br />Chris

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1989 Capri 1750 CS

The engine is the least of your worries, provided it was very well-maintained. They are of average quality and reliability.The thing you should be concerned with however, are below the decking of this hull. Bayliners of this vintage were notoriously poorly built! They were formed using a chopper gun, but they rarely rolled the glass properly, resulting in delamination. Also, they "saved money" by not glassing all the way around the wooden stringers. The wooden deck is NOT encapsulated in glass,and if the boat was maticulously kept, it may still be useable,and in fair condition. This is very rare tho. I have an 89 Capri 1650 that was absolutely "Babied" by my brother throughout. I had to replace a large section of the decking and one stringer,and do not know what lays under the rest (afraid to look). My nephew has an 89 Bayliner Cobra Bass rig,that is in the prcess of complete redecking, stem-to-stearn.<br />If you are still interested in getting this boat,test the engine compression. Jump up and down on every sqaure inch of the decking,looking for any "sponge". It should be firm under foot, even if you are a big guy. Check the transom inside and out for any craking or lack of seal around outdrive mounts. If you see any at all, run from this hull.

doyle101

Recruit

Okay so look for cracking on the deck and around the hull..<br /><br />Any other information, you didn't touch on the power of the boat or anything, such as, how powerful is it? etc..

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I'm sorry. Yes, these boats had plenty of oomph. No probs pulling a large skier out quickly.Expect around 45MPH roughly speaking,top end. They also handle nicely, but are somewhat lacking in freeboard,which allow for waves to breach you very easily.Not a problem under normal operations, but this is just not an offshore boat.<br />They trailer well,are easy on fuel (comparatively), and confortable.They are a heavy hull, for thier length, but there are much heavier ones out there.<br />And they are pretty to look at.It never fails to ammaze me, the number of compliments I get at the ramp like, "That's a pretty boat", and "What year is your Bayliner? 99?" LOL.<br />But you wont be looking for cracking persay. Yes, in the glasswork,like the transom,hull glass and such..But ,as for the deck, it should not be spongy anywhere in any way.<br />If you can walk heavily anywhere on the deck, and the deck has any spring in it, chances are better then average for deck and stringer rot, which you will not be able to see (without ripping the deck up).<br />The deck should be carpeted (they usually were), and this side of the decking WAS coated before the carpet was installed....But the underside of this deck is another story, I'm afraid.