how often do you change your impeller?

StevenT

Petty Officer 1st Class
how often do you change your impeller?

Last edited:

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: how often do you change your impeller?

I change mine every spring. I put on about 100 hour per season. If it is in good condition then keep the old one as a spare. Easy preventative maintenance.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

im every other year as well

scorpionfs

Seaman

how hard is it to change an impellar? this is my first boat is this for an inboard or outboard :redface:

gss036

Commander

I have a water pressure gauge and watch it, if there is any drop, then I change it.

scorpionfs

Seaman

is this what some people call water pump ?or is this part of it or has nothing to do with it.

Summer Fun

Banned

Yes. But it really called a impeller . :)
986465.gif

scorpionfs

Seaman

is there a a good way to check the pressure to tell if it needs changed or not,ive noticed mine doesnt have much pressure just on idle but off idle it has a good steady stream ,is this something a shadetree can do or more of a pro deal lol ?

ziggy

Admiral

scorpionfs, i'm no o/b guy, but if the impeller maint. interval is similar to an i/b. at least my old i/b anyways. your supposed to go physically look at it once a season. mine always show some wear. i ain't takin a chance. that's the start of the flow to the engine. i R&R mine yearly.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I change it every other year. I put about 50 hours per year on my boat. Bought a new boat last year so it will be changed August of 2011.

a70eliminator

Captain

I've changed mine 3 times in 30yrs, I didn't know your supposed to change them every year until I joined this forum, I guess I got lucky, always in fresh water and seldom in any mud or sand, I think that makes a big difference, the old impellers have always looked good besides a little curvature of the wipers. I just put a new one in last week so I'm good for a few years.

scorpionfs

Seaman

thx ziggy i guess i need to find me a manuel for my motor.did u put it in urself a70 or anyone else ?,i have had the boat only about 5 months only put it in water 3 times,

pentavolvo

Cadet

All freshwater use I changed mine at 7 years as preventative and the old one looked great, opened it back up 3 yrs later since casing was leaking a little bit and had to re seal it still looked great

scorpionfs

Seaman

well im not sure when this one was changed or looked at so i may need to get it looked at to ease my fear lol, just wondering how hard is it to change

cr2k

Captain

So here is the real deal. If you use your boat the impeller wears, needs replacing. If you don't use your boat the impeller sits in the housing with the blades bent over and looses it's elasticity.

So either way it goes bad. Suggested replacement interval is every other year.
Unless you run in silty or sandy water like shallow rivers. Then every year.

It is a fairly easy maintenance item, but exactly how depends on your drive.
Large OMC outboards are a little bit of a PITA due to the shift shaft, but not unsurmountable. OMC Stringer drives usually last 5 or more years as they are a large robust item. (not to mention a real hassle to do).

The stickies at the top should have a manual for your set up and explain the procedure.

Just remember NEVER EVER run or even start for a second your engine without water to it. It takes about 10 to 15 seconds to fry an impeller when run dry. After all it is a piece of rubber spinning inside a stainless steel housing. Mucho friction without water.

If you take it to a shop it usually runs between $90 and $150 depending where you are. But again this is every other year.

204 Escape

Ensign

YEARLY !!!!!!!!! It's "cheap protection" !!!!!!!!! ;)

scorpionfs

Seaman

thx cr2k ill go get my model # and see about a manuel