what are the advantages and disadvantages of hydrofoils

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: what are the advantages and disadvantages of hydrofoils

Do a search. It has been answered many times. This question just gets everybody mad. Its either love them or hate them.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Just keep in mind a fin is only a tool. Nothing more - nothing less. Like any tool, used properly the job will be easier. Used improperly, you'll be better off without it.

scipper77

Commander

There are certain topics that for some reason some people on this board treat as if it were a matter of life and death (maybe I'm exaggerating a little). Hydrofoils are one of them.

Having said that, they will supposedly help the boat to come on plane faster as a pro.

They reduce the top speed of the boat as a con.

I have one on my boat, but I didn't put it there. Maybe this year I'll take it off ans see if I notice a difference.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Just keep in mind a fin is only a tool. Nothing more - nothing less. Like any tool, used properly the job will be easier. Used improperly, you'll be better off without it.

Read this again.

And when in doubt, read it again, and again, and again.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

People see all sorts of "do-dads" for their boat and assume adding one turns it into a go fast boat or perhaps uses 1/2 the gas it normally does. Many of those accessories, foils especially, are marketed to solve or partially solve a problem with the boat. So unless the boat has a problem the only advantage of a foil is to the seller. He has your money and you have no improvement or a worse handling boat than you had before. IF there is an issue with your boat, trim tabs are a far better solution and they won't break off the AV plate on the motor.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have owned many many boats over the years and I have installed these on 2 of them. I bought the first one and the second was given to me.

Neither time did I notice anything at all. no faster planing, no better fuel economy, and no reduced top speed. Nothing at all. So i no longer use them.

That is just my own personal experience.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have used Boston Whaler 16/17s both with and without hydrafoils. My hydrafoils were all SE Sport 300s, so I can't tell you what others would do.

One boat had a Merc 90, the others had a JohnnyRude 70 and a Suzuki DF70.

Compared to performance without the foil, the performance with foil was as follows:

Plane at about 15mph vs 20mph. Get on plane noticably faster.

No change, none, in top speed. Would cruise at 30mph at about 4500rpm vs 4900rpm.

Know it all onlookers often told me that the foil would slow the boat down and decrease fuel mileage.

Optimizing rig was different than optimized without the foil. AV plate was abut 3/4" higher, optimum prop on the Suzuki went from 17" to 18".

The Whaler with the Suzuki had a 4" setback plate. The 375# engine made the advantages of the foil very important.

The only real disadvantage I found was the harrassment by KIAs who insisted that none of the advantages existed.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I have used Boston Whaler 16/17s both with and without hydrafoils. My hydrafoils were all SE Sport 300s, so I can't tell you what others would do.

One boat had a Merc 90, the others had a JohnnyRude 70 and a Suzuki DF70.

Compared to performance without the foil, the performance with foil was as follows:

Plane at about 15mph vs 20mph. Get on plane noticably faster.

No change, none, in top speed. Would cruise at 30mph at about 4500rpm vs 4900rpm.

Know it all onlookers often told me that the foil would slow the boat down and decrease fuel mileage.

Optimizing rig was different than optimized without the foil. AV plate was abut 3/4" higher, optimum prop on the Suzuki went from 17" to 18".

The Whaler with the Suzuki had a 4" setback plate. The 375# engine made the advantages of the foil very important.

The only real disadvantage I found was the harrassment by KIAs who insisted that none of the advantages existed.

Uggghhh. The answers have all been well known, and now somebody comes along with data and confounds the whole topic. :)))

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I have owned many many boats over the years and I have installed these on 2 of them. I bought the first one and the second was given to me.

Neither time did I notice anything at all. no faster planing, no better fuel economy, and no reduced top speed. Nothing at all. So i no longer use them.

That is just my own personal experience.

Sort of like going to the doctor when there is nothing wrong with you. He can't fix what ain't broke. Same goes for foils. If there isn't an issue, you don't need one. Installing one anyway can create issues where there weren't any.