Cost to install a new outboard on a boat.

eazy88

Recruit
Hello,

I have a 1989 Tracker Magna with a 1990 Force 90. The motor has been great but with my christmas bonus I am thinking about upgrading to a newer 4-stroke. Probably a 115. If I buy a used one, how much do you think a boat reapir shop would charge to install it. I know that every place will be different prices, but a ball park number is all I am looking for.

Also, would it be rediculously hard to do it myself? I can get the motor on to the transom no problem, but the controls and wiring is what I'm wondering about. Keep in mind, I have average skill but well above-average enthusiasm for these kinds of things and I can follow directions well. Thank you.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cost to install a new outboard on a boat.

without, knowing the boat, impossible to answer. some builders put chases in for controls, some just use bendable tie downs. the controls are simple enough to do. it is the boat that gets complicated.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I don't see much of an advantage in going to a 115 four stroke--unless you are tired of burning oil. The 90 will probably outperform the 115. Remember 4 strokes ar heavier and have less torque than 2 strokes. I suspect that the hole shot would definitely be worse with the 115.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I love my F-115's. At 400+ lbs, they would be simple to handle using a cherry picker. The cables and controls are really straightforward. As TD mentioned, how is the access configured.
I do all my own work on these motors, and experience by others tell me I can get anywhere from 3500 - 6500 hrs on them before needing major work. Hey, they don't sell these 8-1 over 2 strokes for no reason. And that was an average I heard two years ago.
Knowing that they can go a lot of hours also opens up a good used motor over a new one. Hour meters are on most all of them, as well as they are able to be "read" by a shop and give you detailed info on them....good luck!

coolguy147

Commander

is your boat rated to even handle 115hp?

i poursonally would stick with the 2 strokes. only i mean the only thing i do not like about them is that you have to mix oil in the gas or in the auto lube machine. oil is expensive.

what about a etec? pricey yes. great motors. very little oil. they claim that if you follow these throttle settings then you do not have to add oil until 50hours have been used.
http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/About.Us/FAQ/E-TEC.htm?popup=true

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Try and get some specific weights on the two engines. I repowered from a 70 HP two-stroke to a 90 HP four-stroke and ended up with about 100 lbs of extra weight on the transom.