What do you guys think about a 2002 Suzuki 140 h.p. 4-Stroke?

Zrob

Cadet
I am very new to Salt Water boating and I was just wondering what you guys think about this motor?

2002 Suzuki 140 h.p. 4-stroke engine

I read one article only on it but I will hold back on what I read until I get you opinions.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What do you guys think about a 2002 Suzuki 140 h.p. 4-Stroke?

The DF140 is a great little engine at only 410lb, but is a bit short on torque when compared to other 140-150 4 strokes because of it's small displacement, but it revs very nicely to 6200-6500rpm.

Like all Suzi 4 strokes it is very quiet and reliable.

I don't know about salt tolerance, but I would wash down and flush her after every use in salt.

Finally, I don't know what sort of TLC she has had in the last 7 years.

If I had a 150hp rated boat the DF140 would probably be my first choice.

Zrob

Cadet

Went on a test ride was very quiet and ran smooth, I think I am going to buy it. Also had a guy at work with a 2003 140HP and he loves it too.

Thanks

mtdoragary

Recruit

I don't know about salt tolerance, but I would wash down and flush her after every use in salt.

Finally, I don't know what sort of TLC she has had in the last 7 years.

Suzuki DF90, 115, 140 are NOT salt-tolerant. They have numerous documented salt corrosion issues. I have one in my garage that has corroded through the water jacket in two areas and it was run on a river hundreds of miles from the ocean. I have a replacement block for it, but it will NEVER see salt water. I don't yet know the condition of the head casting.

JB

Zrob has not been here since 9/2009. Why bother to reply? That is why we strongly request that you do not reply to old threads.

How is operating in a river hundreds of miles from the sea going to produce evidence of salt sensitivity? Did you flush your outboard after every use, as I recommended three years ago?

mtdoragary

Recruit

Zrob has not been here since 9/2009. Why bother to reply? That is why we strongly request that you do not reply to old threads.

How is operating in a river hundreds of miles from the sea going to produce evidence of salt sensitivity? Did you flush your outboard after every use, as I recommended three years ago?

1. For the benefit of others searching for salt issues.
2. The Indian River is fed by salt springs.
3. I did, but I doubt the previous owners did, considering it was never in the ocean.

JB

The Indian River is fed by salt springs.

Aha! Didn't know that. Thanks. :)