Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIA bolt hole distance from top of transom.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIA bolt hole distance from top of transom.

I'm mounting my 1973 Merc 500 with a universal tilt/trim unit from TH-Marine. The unit is very similar to the CMC PT-130. The tilt/trim unit has the standard BIA bolt pattern.

The boat the tilt/trim is going on is a 1999 Alumacraft 16LTD Mag that and the transom has never been drilled. I've got the bolt pattern down fine but I am wondering what the standard distance from the top of the transom to the centers of the first row of bolt holes (the ones 12 7/8" on center). I would like the holes to line up with new/newer 40-50hp outboards in case I or a future owner plan to upgrade later on.

I can hardly find any info online about this. On site states 1 7/8" from the top to the center. I will be stopping by a dealer tomorrow to ask but the more input the better. Thanks!

Re: BIA bolt hole distance from top of transom.

That top measurement will depend on a number of things

- Transom design
    - Outboard leg length
    - position of the cavitation plate in relation to the bottom of the boat

layyour measurements out so that your cavitation plate is about 1/2'' - 1'' above the very bottom of the transom. Don't worry to much about the top measurement being in place for a future upgrade as nearly all outboards have adjustability to them.
    Regards,

''Fish Me Gone''

Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who are not......Thomas Jefferson

sigpic
    Find out how you can help prevent the spread of Zebra mussels.
    http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/fishing-1000206.aspx

Comment

Re: BIA bolt hole distance from top of transom.

According to the standard mounting hole drawing, the upper holes are 2" down from the top of the transom.

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/tool/...bill&id=637072

Comment

Working...
      X