Does an outboard engine recharge the battery when running like a car does?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jash1178

Seaman
Was wondering this or do I need to monitor and recharge my battery as necessary?

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Does an outboard engine recharge the battery when running like a car does?

Almost all electric start outboards have an alternator to recharge the battery. If the motor has not been run for a while, it always a good idea to put it on a charger before you take it out. Particularly on smaller motors whose alternators charge slowly. This makes sure you will have plenty of battery to crank for awhile if you have to. Most of us hook up water to the motor, crank it and let it run for a while before we leave home.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

most electric start motors will charge the battery, to maintain it for starting. if you plan on electronics, radio etc, you need another Deep Cycle battery for them. motor only put out a very small charge at slow speeds, most charging is done at fast speeds.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I hate getting caught with a dead battery so I charge mine before every trip just because, but yes, the do charge if it is working correctly.

Easy to check, measure voltage with the motor off then again with it started and running, should be more when running, DO NOT disconnect the battery when the motor is running it will fry the rectifier or regulator, can't remember which but they are both expensive and the faster the engine is turning the more charge it puts out but don't run the engine above 1500 rpm without a load on it.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Some do and some do not as stated above. Most electric start motors do charge, however there is nothing more reassuring than having a spare battery out with you. I always take one of those power packs that can boost start the motor if necessary.

wbeaton

Commander

Was wondering this or do I need to monitor and recharge my battery as necessary?

What sort of motor do you have? Year, hp, make.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Install a volt meter, then you will always know if your charging circuit is working properly.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Install a volt meter, then you will always know if your charging circuit is working properly.
And if it's not ??? when you are out there ???

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Why yes that has a charging system.-----Factory new or shop on E-bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.