Teflon tape on fuel fittings?

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was wondering if I should put teflon tape around my fuel fitting that screws into the fuel tank. I think there is fuel leaking out from around the threads. Is this ok to do or is it a no-no for boats?

Re: Teflon tape on fuel fittings?

I was wondering if I should put teflon tape around my fuel fitting that screws into the fuel tank. I think there is fuel leaking out from around the threads. Is this ok to do or is it a no-no for boats?

There is a special teflon tape that we use for auto's.. It is not like the normal tape.. This is alittle thicker and it is tan in color and is for use on fuel line's..

gss036

Commander

Most of the boat repair shop use some type of black stuff. I have used the gray pipe putty and it seem to work ok.

Trent

Captain

Dont use the tape. Use Permatex #2 non hardening. Any autoparts store will have it.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

The tape works fine, But i use non hardening #2 or tan tape.
Think of it this way the tape is less permanent then the #2 or tan tape.
Matt

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you want in on a little secret, use Locktite blue screw lock. Best thread sealant you will find. And the blue kind is removeable.

jauguston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A wiser solution would be to use a paste pipe thread sealer like Locktite 565. Using any type of thread tape creates the possibility of slivers of tape getting into the small passages of your fuel system. Teflon tape is no longer allowed for use on propane fittings for that reason.

Jim

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Permatex #2 is soluable in gasoline. It is therefore unsuitable

Be careful with the teflon tape as stated. You can also use some auto silicone if it makes sense in the application.