Honda vs. Evinrude

Maineman

Cadet
I'm brand new to motorboats and need to buy a new outboard (something around a 90 hp). I've asked everyone I know for manufacturer recommendations and, as you'd expect, everybody has a strong and different opinion. I think I've narrowed my choices down to Evinrude's ETec or Honda's 4 Stroke. I thought I was settled on a Honda, then I watched Evinrude's convincing marketing videos on their website. Now I'm not sure.

Without starting a battle royal, what do you guys think of these two brands? Thank you very much for your advice.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude vs. Honda

both excellent choices, compare price, most important, who has the best service department within a reasonable distance from where the boat will be. personally i am an evinrude/johnson man.

Maineman

Cadet
Honda vs. Evinrude

I'm brand new to motorboats and need to buy a new outboard (something around a 90 hp). I've asked everyone I know for manufacturer recommendations and, as you'd expect, everybody has a strong and different opinion. I think I've narrowed my choices down to Evinrude's ETec or Honda's 4 Stroke. I thought I was settled on a Honda, then I watched Evinrude's convincing marketing videos on their website. Now I'm not sure.

Without starting a battle royal, what do you guys think of these two brands? If you were buying new, which would you get? Thank you very much for your advice.

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class

Theh etec video is a hoax you cannot not put a 2 stroke against a 4 stroke of the same hp

i 4 stroke is heaver but the two strok of course is has got more tourque because it burn fuel well and does not have are the stroke of a 4 strokes the 2 stroke has a power band

i have a johnson 2 on my boat pushes it well put i would rather have a honda 4 stroke over it
they are quieter and have a lot less problems if taken care

the reason the e tech does not have a break iin is because the cpu is set to dump in the oil you do have to take it back 2 -3 times in the first year to have the cpu calibarted to reduce the oil input
got that from a friend the installs

i would rather have a four stroke honda all the way

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Honda vs. Evinrude

Same as what TD said in the other thread dealer location is key

Fuzzy

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Of the two you have decided on, as I loathe 4-strokes, by default it has to be Evinrude.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

i 4 stroke is heaver but the two strok of course is has got more tourque because it burn fuel well and does not have are the stroke of a 4 strokes the 2 stroke has a power band

What in the world does that mean?

Also, I keep hearing claims of taking etecs back to recalibrate the cpu during the 3 year "no maintenance" interval. I happened to be in my local OMC/BRP dealer this past Friday, so I asked one of the senior mechanics about that issue. I have been doing business with these guys for over ten years and they have never lied to me yet. He told me that this is bunk.

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class

i believe that a 4 stroke is a lot quiter engine they have a lot less mechinical yes they may cost more to run but i like them better

and a 2 stroke enginge burns the fuel 2 times more than a 4 stroke because it has less strokes per cycle a 2 stroke has a powerband the movie is not a fair match talk with some people that know dirt bikes and they lied to you a bout that my borther is an installer and cals the cpus i now first hand

A 2 STROKE HAS MORE POWER AND TOURQUE BUT IS A LOUDER RUNNNG ENGINE IF THATS WHAT UR INTO IS SPEED AND POWER

A FOUR STROKE IS QUITER AND MORE FUEL EFFICIENT THAT IS WHY THE GOT BUILT IN THE FIRST PLACE DEMANDED BY THE GOVERNMENT SO THE FUEL STANDERS COULD BE MEET BUT THE E-TECS ARE A GOOD ENGINE

I WOULD BE THE FIRST TO GO OUT AND BUT A NEW HONDA BUT I WOULD JUMP THE HP FROM MY 150 TO A 225 UNLESS GOING WITH A NOTHER 2 STROKE

BUT LIKE YOU SAID ITS A PERSONAL PREFERENCE I HAVE HAD BOTH ENGINES IN MY LIFE AND IM STILL A YOUNGSTER

iwombat

Captain

The only thing you can rely on in these 4-stroke vs. 2-stroke discussions is a whole lot of mis-information.

Here's a few facts:

1) hp-to-hp a four stroke requires a much larger (and heavier) powerhead.
2) A healthy two-stroke will smoke more than a healthy four-stroke, no avoiding that one. I make no claims for unhealthy four-strokes.
3) a four-stroke has a lot more moving parts - more stuff to wear out and break down. Does that mean they're any more or less reliable? No. It does mean a total rebuild will cost you a lot more.

For just about everything else - and I mean EVERYTHING. You need to look at the specific motors you're looking at to determine fuel consumption, service record, etc.

Edit: A good read on the subject: http://www.marineenginedigest.com/specialreports/2versus4stroke.htm

"Ultimately the biggest difference between the competing technologies is measured by acceleration. With a superior horsepower-to-weight ratio direct injected two-strokes zoom onto a plane quicker. For some applications, like bay boats, that?s crucial.

But in the final analysis what?s most important is the deal. As when buying a car, it?s vital to comparison shop. Determine which dealer offers the best prices and has the most reputable service department. "

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just my 2cents. I have run plenty of Johnson and Evinrude 2 strokes, and if you're at all handy they are reliable and low cost. Note I said if you're handy.....I have found they require little tweaks or parts regularly. I have a Honda BF75 2000 on my probass boat, and I have to say if you're not handy....this is the motor for you. After the initial resetting of the valves done at the dealer (as per break in specs) This motor hasn't needed anything other than gas, oil, and filters. Add to that the alternator for keeping batteries charged and I say its a hell of an argument for Honda. I haven't run a Johnson or Evinrude E-tec or 4Stroke so I really can't comment. I may have been lucky with this Honda.....but I sure have been impressed. Would I ever dissuade someone from getting a small old johnson or evinrude, Never.....they just keep on truckin

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

As I understand the ETEC motor, there are only two dealer adjustable parameters for the EMM (cpu) - one is idle speed adjustment and the other is oil type adjustment. Attempts to adjust any other parameter will fail because the computer requires a code that only BRP has, for the EMM to accept the change. There are currently three acceptable oil types for use in an ETEC engine. They are:

Evinrude XD30 (TC-3RW equivalent, so competative brands meeting the standard are allowed too)
Evinrude XD50
Evinrude XD100

The are only two oil related EMM settings and they are:

XD30/XD50
XD100

ETEC engines are shipped from the factory with the EMM set for XD30/XD50, but have XD100 in the oil tank/oil system. The XD30/XD50 setting delivers oil at twice the rate that the XD100 setting does. Since XD100 is a superior oil, there is no problem with running it at a full consumption rate.

During the dealer setup of the motor, the EMM can either be left at the XD30/XD50 setting, and the oil type can be changed at the first owner reservior fill, or it can be changed to the XD100 setting, if the owner prefers to continue using XD100. There is no requirement to keep the engine at the higher oil delivery rate during a break-in period and there is, in fact, no break-in period.

According to a number of articles that I have read (Trailer Boats, etc.), the reason why there is no break-in period is because of two key factors. One is that the material used for the pistons is a NASA developed alloy that is 2-1/2 times more durable than standard aluminum pistons. The other is that the cylinder bores are Boron-Nitrate honed, resulting in a much smoother bore than standard techniques provide. These things, along with very close tolerances, prevent the usual break-in issues.

Once again, while there seems to be some "outboard urban legend" floating about in regard to the oil issue, the only evidence I have ever found to support this "grand conspiracy theory," is anecdotal in nature. Since research indicates that dealers could not being doing anything other than changing the oil input rate, I choose not to accept the stories to the contrary.

iwombat

Captain

thx Jay.

Nothing like the cold hard facts.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

but the motor you want. eventually something breaks on all on them, service is still a key.

pvanv

Admiral

They are both good motors. In general:

4-stroke = quieter, smoother, heavier, with possible "making oil".

eTec = lighter.

As an alternative, Tohatsu/Nissan TLDI = same performance as eTec, built-in diagnostics, better price.

Really, it comes down to your preferences/needs, and dealer location/support. A good local dealer is worth a lot.

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class

well its all personal perference look at what you want i agree with them that a 4 stroke cost more to run and are heavier it what you

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

You ask this question in the Honda forum (and another)- and expect an unbiased opinion?

Truth be told- they are both outstanding outboards. Like Elvin, I prefer a 2 stroke for the same reasons that others have outlined.

You will not find any damning evidence against either outboard since they are both so well engineered.

I 100% agree that service from your dealer should outline which direction you should go. When times get hard, good service from a dealer will make all the difference in the world.

D

DJ

This is a double post asking the same question. I will combine the two and put both in Outboard NON REPAIR area.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

As for fuel consumption, you need to look at those issues very carefully. Whether an engine is a two stroke or four stroke, to make 50, 90, or 200 HP takes "X" amount of fuel -- period. At wide open throttle both of those engines will consume nearly the same amount of fuel on the same identical boat with the same identical load. If you measure fuel economy at any given Rpm, the four stroke will show better numbers. BUT -- if you look at the speedometer while doing that measurement, you will find the two stroke is almost always pushing the boat faster. Why is that? Simple -- four strokes need to be propped with a little less pitch to get out of the hole or they run higher gear ratios. (Now don't go off on the ratio business. 1:1 is a low ratio and 2.3:1 is a higher ratio.) So in this lesson, with a two stroke you can run less throttle to maintain the same speed at which point the fuel discussion becomes moot. While I have three two strokes and one four stroke, only time will tell how many of these four strokes are still around untouched 20, 30, 40, or even 60 years from now. I like a four stroke on a pontoon. For my go faster boats I prefer a two stroke. Don't forget the oil and filter changes, making oil, valve adjustments, and the terminal engine damage if a timing belt breaks or slips (on interference engines).