12 ft jon boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

running cougar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ok guys so i have a 12ft jon boat. I would like to know about how fast my 3hp outboard will push me? Lets say total weight is going to be a little less than 200 pounds. Will it plane? Just need a rough estimate about how fast it will go? thx

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 12 ft jon boat

seriously doubt plane. maybe 5-10 mph. 9.9 will plane it well. the 3 will get you there, just not in a hurry.

jasper60103

Commander

You may want to use the search engine. It's been several threads on powering jons. The general consensus is don't exceed the rated power. I imagine a 3hp would do fine. I would love to have a light weight setup like that.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Keep the weight to a minimum get or make a tiller extension so you can sit in the middle seat.Not likely to plane but you might get 8 or 9 mph.If its a 1232
its probably rated for 3hp.

jbjennings

Captain

No chance of it planing. The fact that it's 12 foot instead of 14 foot makes it even harder to plane because all the weight is in the back of the boat. I can barely get my 12'36" boat to plane with my '55 and '57 7.5hp evinrude motors. I weigh about 210 or 215 and nothing but a tank of gas in my boat. My 14'32" aluminum boat will plane great with my 7.5hp motors and my 70lb. 7year old son in the boat with me.
sorry,
JBJ

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I had a small jon and got a really long gas hose and put the tank all the way up front with the battery got the boat almost perfectly balanced, I had a 9.9 on it and it would really move out.

Buddy had a 3 on a 12 jon and ah ya, your not going anywhere in a hurry, it will get you where you are going though and beats rowing.

Brass tacks you have a boat and motor and it will get you where you want to go so you are in pretty good shape.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

I've owned more jon boats and sub 5 hp outboards than I could could on both hands so will weigh in. IMHO, it has a chance of planing if it's a ligher weight /lower hp rated/32" bottom version AND you move your weight forward to help with trim. How close you come really depends on the specifics of the motor ( weight, HP, prop, etc). In any case, it should scoot you easily into the low teens and be all you need/want.
I currently run a 3.3 Mariner (tohatsu) and/or a Johnson 4 hp on my ( 88#) Lowe 1232 jon and have been very happy with it.
Boat, motor and me weigh in around 350 or so.
hth

mthieme

Captain

My next door neighbor has a 12' jon boat with a 2 hp. He goes out with a buddy. If there's a head wind, he doesn't make headway. 5-10 mph is not realistic.

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

My next door neighbor has a 12' jon boat with a 2 hp. He goes out with a buddy. If there's a head wind, he doesn't make headway. 5-10 mph is not realistic.

I'll never forget going under the Destin bridge against the tide while the tide was going out with my wife and 3 yo daughter with me in a 12 foot Portabote with a 3 hp Tohatsu. At some points we made almost no headway. Being underpowered on Lake Cumberland might be frustrating; being underpowered in coastal waters can be dangerous. I got a bigger motor right after that.

donaldjoyner

Cadet

I have a 1232 with a 15 horse evenrude two stroke on it and it is perfect for it not to fast and not to slow cant imagin what a smaller motor would be like

Status
Not open for further replies.