what is best 2 stroke oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon D

Seaman Apprentice
hello fellow boaters was curios what was best 2 stroke oil to use or does it even matter i have been using quiksilver premium 2 stroke oil but it seems a little expensive and have seen some cheaper brands just wondering if i am wasting money when i could be saving. thank you

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: what is best 2 stroke oil

I used Pennzoil semi-synthetic for years & had very good results. I now buy BRP semi-synthetic in bulk, from my local dealer. The price is actually a wee bit lower than the Penzoil at Wallyworld, and I get to support the guy who always gets me the parts I need.

That's a win-win in my book!

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Any TC-W3 compliant oil is fine. I have run the Wal Mart Supertech in my 1976 Johnson 70 hp for 10 years with no problem. On my 1997 Mariner 115 hp I run the penzoil synthetic (also purchased at Wal Mart). There was a good discussion in this thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=269325

LubeDude

Admiral

hello fellow boaters was curios what was best 2 stroke oil to use or does it even matter!

If you are the average boater and only use your boat ocationally and when you do you don't run WOT everywhere you go, you can get away with the wally World oil or any other TC-W3 oil.

Now, if on the other hand you are a serious Bass fisherman or a member of the Scream and Fly board and run the living H*ll out of your engine you can benifit from a good synthetic like Amsoil or Asilyn or Klotz!

Now, there are other reasons for using a synthetic:

Less smoke
Cleaner running, which translates to buying fewer spark plugs and generally no decarbing every year!

I use Amsoil! DUH!

I say DUH because everyone here knows I drink the stuff! :) :)

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Amsoil is good stuff. I used to sell it in the early 80s.

The only issue I ever had with it from a sales standpoint is that it was expensive compared to other oils. That situation improved a bit when Mobil One came out, because it was pretty pricey too. The fact that Mobil was making and selling a full synthetic sort of "legitimized" Amsoil, as well. It wasn't that Amsoil didn't have the data to prove that they had an oustanding product, as much the problem was that a lot of people just didn't believe in the value of synthetic oil, until a major brand hit the market.

If I were running $20,000 motors and beating on them at that, I wouldn't hesitate to spend the extra money on Amsoil.

coolguy147

Commander

Any TC-W3 compliant oil is fine. I have run the Wal Mart Supertech in my 1976 Johnson 70 hp for 10 years with no problem. On my 1997 Mariner 115 hp I run the penzoil synthetic (also purchased at Wal Mart). There was a good discussion in this thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=269325

hey lol my dad by's that same oil for me in the little pint bottles :D

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

TCW-3 is good for me !!!! Wal Mart brand is fine.

Hey Guys and Gals.......another oil thread !!!!

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Oh god not another oil post.

I'll say the same, as long as it's TC-W3 rated than it's fine. I've used the Wal-Mart Super Tech and it is fine, I've also used the Penzoil synthetic blend which is great too.

Got my hands on 4 gallons of Yamalube for $30 last year, so I've been using that all season. I see no difference from Yamalube to Super Tech or Penzoil, just got a deal that's all.

Just decarb in the Spring and you will be OK.

mthieme

Captain

Jon,
I too use Quicksilver Premium.
One option (for me) is to go to the dealer with milk jugs and pump it out of the 55 gallon drum...runs me about half the price.
I would encourage you not to skimp on the quality of oil you use.
Another option that worked for me last summer was a neighbor replaced his two stroke with a 4 stroke after buying a case of QSP...he sold the gallons $10 a pop. I bought 4!

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Jon D-

i would encourage you to use the search function and read the volumes posted on this subject....we don't only beat the horse but tenderize it as well....

Oil threads here are debated pretty much weekly.....

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

we don't only beat the horse but tenderize it as well.....

:D:D funny. For a while I was using AMSoil outboard oil. Only reason I haven't used it lately is because I haven't seen any of my relatives who sell it. Quicksilver is my 2nd choice, but I did pickup some Johson Evinrude brand at walmart the other day, and it was cheaper then quicksilver so if the Johnson & E'rude brand doesn't blow my motor up :D, I'll probably stick with it.

reelfishin

Captain

While I'm a firm believer in synthetic, I've probably got a lifetime supply or various brands of TCW3 oil here. I've accumulated a lot of it from boats which I've picked up for free and stripped, it seems every other one has a couple of gallon jugs stashed on board. I've been running Pennzoil, Walmart, Quicksilver, and BRP lube with no problems for years. At the current rate of use, it will be a good 20 or so years by the time I go through it all. I probably have 80 gallons or so in various brand jugs stored upstairs at the shop. I was always a fan of Klotz oil in my dirt bike days, it ran clean and was readily available. I've probably still got some vintage paper cans of it stashed in my garage from way back when. I can't recall what the rating was back then though.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Jon,
I too use Quicksilver Premium.
One option (for me) is to go to the dealer with milk jugs and pump it out of the 55 gallon drum...runs me about half the price.
I would encourage you not to skimp on the quality of oil you use.
Another option that worked for me last summer was a neighbor replaced his two stroke with a 4 stroke after buying a case of QSP...he sold the gallons $10 a pop. I bought 4!

Quicksilver oil is a scam, I cannot believe the price they charge for that oil. I have actually heard the idiots in Boater's World telling people, who don't know any better, that if they have a Merc they HAVE to use Quicksilver.

The Penzoil Synthetic Blend is better oil, and you can find that stuff around a lot of places for like $12 gallon.

Noi oil is gonna blow up your outboard, lean mixtures, lugging and not decarbing blows up outboards.

If you use any TC-W3 rated oil, you will be fine. If you prefer synthetic for cleaner burning or whatever reason, fine, but any TC-W3 will provide great protection for your outboard.

You don't need to buy a certain oil for a certain outboard (with maybe the exception of BRP XD-100 if you want to run an E-tec at 100:1). I have been using Yamaha's Yamalube in my old '97 Johnson 115 (only because I got a deal on 4 gallons of it), Yamaha guys go crazy for this stuff, they pay like $30+ a gallon.....I haven't seen any difference in running, or smoke, or smell than when I use Supertech from Wal-Mart.

chuter

Cadet

Cricket Too: Quicksilver/Mercury oil is not a scam. It may be high priced. But, that is a rip off, not a scam. The product is excellent. The blends are second to none. There is no finer product on the market.
Yes, most TC-WIII two cycle oils will work very well for most outboards. Follow the recommendation of your engine manufacturer for synthetic versus mineral blend use.
Yes, I use TC-WII in my weed whacker even though I know I shouldn't because the "W" stands for water-cooled and is blended for a cooler running engine than an air-cooled trimmer, chain saw, etc. But, ya know what? It still works.
Yes, I have personal experience at Mercury Marine in the division that was responsible for parts and accessories (including oils and lubes). Couch my response with that in mind.
This may have been discussed before but remember, Mercury (and others) developed its lubricants in order to not only make money on selling them but also to make sure their engines keep running. Engines that run well don't break and don't incurr warranty costs by the manufacturer. Mercury has the resources to develop those products for self protection and profit.
Please don't get burned out on this topic. It keeps coming up because we keep getting more new boaters in to the sport. Us old folks have to pass on our experience to them. We asked the same questions too.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

When asking what oil is best, the question comes to mind as to what standards?

You mention expense as a concern, so if you are looking for the least expensive,
then any oil that meets the boating standard and is less expensive than other
oils may be the best for you. I have yet to see a post or hear from a boater that
brand "abc" oil caused their engine to fail. They must all work.

For my concern, being less smoke, I use synthetic. :)

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

hello fellow boaters was curios what was best 2 stroke oil to use or does it even matter i have been using quiksilver premium 2 stroke oil but it seems a little expensive and have seen some cheaper brands just wondering if i am wasting money when i could be saving. thank you

Pennzoil synthetic at Wally World. Been running it in my 3 engines for years and never had a problem.
Nightstalker

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

im not sure about boat oil but as far as cars and motorcycles, i wouldnt use supertech. its basically recycled oil.

also, yamalube is not a good oil. it performed poorly on most tests.
amsoil came out on top for every test.

EARLS BOAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What You Mean I'm Suppose To Use A Mixing Oil!!! Just Kidding , I Like Quick Silver And The Johnson/evinrude Brand. I'd Say Your Gas To Oil Ratio Is More Important Than The Brand.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

im not sure about boat oil but as far as cars and motorcycles, i wouldnt use supertech. its basically recycled oil.

also, yamalube is not a good oil. it performed poorly on most tests.
amsoil came out on top for every test.

Not to sound belligerent, but can you provide the source for these claims?

Status
Not open for further replies.