Suzuki DF140 longevity

langdonb

Cadet
How many hours can be expected assuming normal use before needing overhaul? I am looking at two DF140 that came off of a charter boat. Thye have 3900 hours on them. The pistons and cylinders show no wear, the vales and valves seals have been replaced. Any ideas on how many hours they can run before failure?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Suzuki DF140 longevity

I would base any estimate on warm oil oil pressure at idle and 4500 RPM. Oil pressure that is lower than specified at idle is an indication of some rod and or main bearing wear. Which one or both is hard to tell but typically it will be rod bearings. If those engines had been in a car traveling at 60 MPH they would have logged roughly 234,000 miles. In a car, the engine would not have to run nearly as fast as they do in a boat so you can safely say the amount of RPM over 3900 hours is roughly twice that of the same engine in a car. I do have one Suzy in my stable but it is still in two digit hours so I have no insight as to how long those engines will run. I do however, feel 3900 hours is getting up there. I do know the bottom end of those engines are pretty durable so they may go 5000 hours or more with no problem. It's all a crap shoot when you get into high-hour anything.

rndn

Commander

I would guess they were well maintained in order to get 3900 hours on them.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It wouldn't seem to me that the charter is getting rid of them because
they have confidence in the continued use.

JRJ

Commander

I really like Suzuki products. That said, 3900 hours on a 4-cylinder is quite a few. Not saying they won't go 5,000 or more, but it really comes down to how they were run and the care they received. I've been around diesels that didn't go 4,000 hours because they were abused. Really depends on price, your needs, parts availability, and your mechanical abilities. Good luck.

mtdoragary

Recruit

I would stay as far from those motors as I could get. I've seen Suzuki 140's fail from salt water corrosion busting the water jackets with less than 100 hours on them. I have one in my garage, and the water jackets failed even though it run only onthe Indian River hundreds of miles from the ocean. With any engine, meticulous flushing routines extend life, but Suzuki DF90, 115, 140's are especially prone to salt water corrosion.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That is 2 in a row, Gary. This one is FOUR years old. Please do not reply to old threads.