Seafoam - How Much?

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was wondering how much Seafoam you are using per gallon for maintenance/fuel stabilization?

The can says 16oz treats 6-12g of fuel/oil mix, avg 2oz/g. Do you mix it at 2oz/g?

Seriesnuns

Cadet
Re: Seafoam - How Much?

I have a 40 HP 2 Stroke Merc. which I pre-mix my oil.

I only fill 6 Gallons a time on my bass boat.(12 or 14 Gallons fuel tank) Usually I try to add about 1/2 can every other fill up when i'm filling my boat up from 1/2 tank to full tank. (The rest goes into my jeep)

I do this so at most times there is sea-foam in the gasoline to stabilize, and every other tank it is stronger to keep the engine clean. So far no problems

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Does Seafoam REALLY stabilize fuel, clean carbon, remove moisture from fuel and oil, clean injectors AND provide good storage fogging as it claims? Just seems a little like snake-oil esque claims to me. I could believe that it's a good carbon cleaner/preventer, but that almost seems incompatable with some of the other claims.

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

It has been around for 50+ years so it must be able to stand up to scrutiny.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

As a believer in this product, I can say YES. I've used it for years. $5.86 at my local farm store.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Been using 1 ounce per gallon +/-, for years.

If I have 18 gallons of gas, 1 can of Seafoam goes in.
If I have 13 gallons of gas, 1 can of Seafoam goes in.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Seafoam works great as a decarb an outboard. Too expensive to use it as a stabilizer in the boat.$$$$$ :D

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seafoam works great as a decarb an outboard. Too expensive to use it as a stabilizer in the boat.$$$$$ :D

Good point!! What do you use for a fuel stabilizer?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

seafoam will keep a clean carb clean, that is my main point of using it. it will not clean a dirty carb. it is not snake oil.

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

seafoam will keep a clean carb clean, that is my main point of using it. it will not clean a dirty carb. it is not snake oil.

I hadnt thought of that. A couple cans of Seafoam a year sure beats rebuilding/cleaning the carb every spring.

tashasdaddy, how much Seafoam are you using per gallon of fuel?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i use about 1 1/2 ounces. but i also do a decarb atleast every 2 years whether it needs it or not. i prefer this method of decarbing. i use it in all my 2 cycle motors,, weedeater, blowers, etc.

Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

afterwards compression.recheck

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the decarb instructions. I have a gallon of mixed fuel, a can of seafoam and a spray bottle all ready for my next day off.

I just put new plugs in it, will I still need to replace them after decarboning?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Good point!! What do you use for a fuel stabilizer?
During the season I typically don?t use fuel additives except in ?winterize? mode. I have a 92 gallon tank and typically burn 20-25 gallons an outing. I just top off before each outing to keep fresh fuel in the mix.

In theory, we can boat year round so come December I?ll start adding Sta-bil into the mix. You never know when the next opportunity to go out will present itself so I ?winterize? just in case.

Got to love winterize an outboard ;)

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

How does it do this? (keep carbs clean) Why is it better than normal fresh gasoline and good quality oil?

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Now with teh alcohol laced fuel that most of us have to buy, i believe in gas aditives more than ever. I've had some real nightmares with STABIL and will never use it again. However, in the 4-5 years since i've found SEAFOAM, even last years gas seems to start and run all my outboards like new fuel. FWIW, I generally run 1.5-2 oz/gal of 50:1 mix in all my engines ( and run them out of fuel at years end.)

Billfo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Doing some research for winterizing.. So you use Seafoam in a full tank over the winter & no other fuel stabilizers ?

Just trying to convince myself its ok to use seafoam for winter storage with NO Stabil-Marine..

Now with teh alcohol laced fuel that most of us have to buy, i believe in gas aditives more than ever. I've had some real nightmares with STABIL and will never use it again. However, in the 4-5 years since i've found SEAFOAM, even last years gas seems to start and run all my outboards like new fuel. FWIW, I generally run 1.5-2 oz/gal of 50:1 mix in all my engines ( and run them out of fuel at years end.)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

E-10 is one of the best fuel system cleaners you can buy. I'm not sure why you want or need to introduce even more alchohol (Seafoam is 20% alcohol by volume) into the mix.

Stabil-Marine is formulated for use with E-10. It's as good, if not better stabilzer than Seafoam @ 1/3 the cost.

Billfo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"Seafoam is 20% alcohol by volume" didnt know that !!! Thanks.

E-10 is one of the best fuel system cleaners you can buy. I'm not sure why you want or need to introduce even more alchohol (Seafoam is 20% alcohol by volume) into the mix.

Stabil-Marine is formulated for use with E-10. It's as good, if not better stabilzer than Seafoam @ 1/3 the cost.