Seafoam - How Much?

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Seafoam - How Much?

(Seafoam is 20% alcohol by volume)

Actually it's 10-20% IPA (isopropyl alcohol). I'm not a chemist, but I'm sure there is a difference between IPA and ethanol. If I remember correctly, IPA evaporates pretty quickly when exposed to the atmosphere.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

Technically isopropanol. Same thing as isopropyl alcohol but it is made from petroleum. Ads a negligible amount of alcohol to the overall fuel mix.

Look at the contents of the majority of fuel stabilizers - primarily isopropyl alcohol.

robert graham

Admiral

I researched Seafoam and it's mostly Petroleum Naptha, Mineral Spirits(paint thinner) with some Alcohol. Nobody claims to know exactly how it works but it's a fairly well-proven product. Good Luck!

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Each time my boat has to sit unexpectantly for a period of time, I always clean the carbs, add seafoam to the old fuel in the tank, finish filling tank with fresh fuel and replace water/fuel seperator. Have not had a problem at all since I have had to so this a few times... Seafoam works.

relstabw

Seaman

Now with teh alcohol laced fuel that most of us have to buy, i believe in gas aditives more than ever. I've had some real nightmares with STABIL and will never use it again. However, in the 4-5 years since i've found SEAFOAM, even last years gas seems to start and run all my outboards like new fuel. FWIW, I generally run 1.5-2 oz/gal of 50:1 mix in all my engines ( and run them out of fuel at years end.)

What kinds of problems have you had with Stabil? This is what I'm using to combat the effects of ethanol in the fuel. Should I be using something else?

robert graham

Admiral

Go to: Marine Fuel Additives Material Safety Data Sheets for lots of product information regarding all additives on the market. Seems they're mostly petroleum naphtha, some type of alcohol, stoddard solvent(paint thinner), amines, proprietary compounds? I use Stabil or Seafoam and they both seem to work fine. Install a fuel/water seperator. Good Luck!

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Been using 1 ounce per gallon +/-, for years.

If I have 18 gallons of gas, 1 can of Seafoam goes in.
If I have 13 gallons of gas, 1 can of Seafoam goes in.

I was under the impression that 1 once per gallon was the formula for storing fuel and that 1 once per 5 gallon was for preventive maintenance in normal operation.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Buckle up gents.. this is going to get good...

But will it generate as many post's as Coor's Lite in a can on dockside? :D

SEA FOAM IS GREAT STUFF. I swear by it. I use it in the outboard, all the lawn equipment,chainsaw, etc., the '84 F150 4x4 that get's driven a couple thousand miles a year, the '65 442 Convertible that get's driven a few hundred mile's a year. All of the above start every single time, often after sitting for month's. My formula follow's what the can says, Avg. 1 oz. per gal.
1 1/2 to 2oz. is what I prefer.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Gregk

Seaman

Doing some research for winterizing.. So you use Seafoam in a full tank over the winter & no other fuel stabilizers ?

I do. ;)

as far as the mixture ratio goes; I pour a bottle of it in every time I top off my tank...which is usually 6 - 8 gallons.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have an 80 gallon tank; 2003 150 Yam w/ carbs. I keep startron and ringfree in the tank and the tank full. I've had this motor since March and have run 75 hours. Previous owner did not clean carbs I don't think.
The motor is running funky now--hard start, hard restart, surges, no top end.
I just changed the filter and inspected/tightened the fuel line from pick-up to engine; new plugs went on in March.
If i were to run some Sea Foam through it to clean the carbs and system, should I add to the 80 gallon tank (yikes $$$) or run a high concentration through a seperate 6 gallon tank? If so how much for a clean out? Or am I wasting my time and $$ and need to start with a carb and VST filter cleaning?

I could also do the spray-bottle method described above but thought I'd try this first. All my work has to be done with the boat in the water, unless I take it to a pro.
(Rodbolt are you for hire to come to Norfolk for in-water work?)

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

I have an 80 gallon tank; 2003 150 Yam w/ carbs. I keep startron and ringfree in the tank and the tank full. I've had this motor since March and have run 75 hours. Previous owner did not clean carbs I don't think.
The motor is running funky now--hard start, hard restart, surges, no top end.
I just changed the filter and inspected/tightened the fuel line from pick-up to engine; new plugs went on in March.
If i were to run some Sea Foam through it to clean the carbs and system, should I add to the 80 gallon tank (yikes $$$) or run a high concentration through a seperate 6 gallon tank? If so how much for a clean out? Or am I wasting my time and $$ and need to start with a carb and VST filter cleaning?

I could also do the spray-bottle method described above but thought I'd try this first. All my work has to be done with the boat in the water, unless I take it to a pro.
(Rodbolt are you for hire to come to Norfolk for in-water work?)

Seafoam isn't going to clean dirty carbs. If you keep Ring-Free in your tank, you don't need to do a decarb with Seafoam. Sounds like you need a carb rebuild.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Doing some research for winterizing.. So you use Seafoam in a full tank over the winter & no other fuel stabilizers ?

Just trying to convince myself its ok to use seafoam for winter storage with NO Stabil-Marine..

That's all you need.......

SEA FOAM IS GREAT STUFF. I swear by it. I use it in the outboard, all the lawn equipment,chainsaw, etc., the '84 F150 4x4 that get's driven a couple thousand miles a year, the '65 442 Convertible that get's driven a few hundred mile's a year. All of the above start every single time, often after sitting for month's. My formula follow's what the can says, Avg. 1 oz. per gal.
1 1/2 to 2oz. is what I prefer.

Me too. I put it in everything that has a spark plug or a glow plug....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I just picked up the official Yamaha repair manual, which confirmed my suspicions: I need to take it in to a pro for a carb job.

Sure, I could muddle through it, and it might take all day, and one little thing could set it all back to not running at all. It would be a Saturday, where my closest Yamaha dealer closes at noon, so any parts I need would become apparent at 12:15. To compound it, it's a huge pain (as in no-go) to get the boat and trailer into my driveway to work on it, so it's either fix it on the water (where most small parts and tools, if dropped, have a habit of falling overboard instead of on board) or ramp parking lot. So the down side of not doing it right outweighs doing my part to support the local marine repair business and establish good relationships.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah agreed, SeaFoam isn't gonna help that situation out at all. Do carbed motors have VST's? I thought they were only used in DI Yami's, don't see why you'd need a VST for a carb.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Well in my opinion you are not going to find a better product out there to stabilize E10 (which is usually higher than 10% Ethanol), than Startron. Which I did see mentioned by Home Cookin, but by nobody else.

I have always been skeptical of SeaFoam as anything other than a decarb. Never saw how something used as a decarb that needed to be run out of the motor after sitting for 15 minutes, per the instructions, can also be left in for months on end as a fogging oil. I'd rather just fog with 2 stroke.

I guess at some point it was a good stabilizer, but I don't trust anything not specifically designed to treat E10. Stabilizing the breakdown of gasoline is one thing, but keeping E10 from having phase separation is another HUGE factor, that a product not specifically designed to do so, won't do.

I use Star Tron year round, and just double treat in the winter for storage. I have a 75 gallon fuel tank, and the boat sits in the water for 8 months of the year, so it's constantly exposed to moisture and humidity, which in my opinion is when you need to worry about this most, not in the cold, dry winter air. The Start Tron will keep the fuel fresh, keeping it from having any phase separation, and will keep the fuel system clean in the process, not clean the fuel system, keep a clean one clean. Also since it's also a biocide, it will keep your tank clean and will capture any junk or water that is in your tank, and separate it out so that it can be caught by a filter or burned properly.

Best thing you can buy, in my opinion.