what size motor for 14' 1969 seaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking to put a bigger motor on my 14' seaking,does anyone knoe how big of a motor it can hold.I would like to put a 20 hp at least,but can it hold more??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: what size motor for 14' 1969 seaking

a picture of the boat would help there are several styles of 14' seakings.

tashasdaddy

20 would be the absolute max, 15 would be better. you may have to put remote controls on it at that hp, to keep the bow down, it;s going to have to have weight in the bow. it was probably built for a 10-15hp.

CATransplant

Admiral

Check www.fiberglassics.com. They have a 1967 Starcraft brochure in the Starcraft section. Yours is either the Sea Scamp or Super Star model. Both are rated for 20hp max.

Starcraft made the boats for Montgomery Ward at that time. I have a Sea King 12' that is identical to the Sea Scamp, which is how I know that. Despite their mail order origins, they are very nice boats, well-built and quite seaworthy.

A nice choice would be a johnnyrude 18 hp, I'd think, but a 15 would push the boat along very nicely.

Last edited:

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info guys.I will probably go with a 15 to 20.With the weight I will be carrying ,My kids love to go fishing and my wife said she'll go also.
The beam of the boat is 60" and 14' long.I had it out in the Hudson river and it did real good with 3 kids and 2 adults.

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tashasdaddy

is that a single layer of plywood for the transom or double layer? how far down does it go?

CATransplant

Admiral

Well, that's the 1967 catalog. What is your beam, then? They may have increased it in 1969.

It's still a lightweight aluminum boat. Most folks with 14' boats of this nature find that 15 hp scoots them right along, unless they're heavily laden. Ones with a console, rather than tiller steer, are usually rated at 25 hp.

I still maintain that the horsepower limit for yours is probably 20, and that a 15 or 18 would be reasonable outboards for it. The 15 on the johnnyrude side is a bit lighter than the 18.

I see you have a 4 hp on there now. That's certainly not enough. My 12' has a 6hp on it, and it will just plane with the weight distributed ideally. A 10 hp would scoot it along, but I'm quite happy with the 6, since the lakes I visit are mostly small.

CATransplant

Admiral

Ah, OK. Take a look at the Seafarer model in that brochure. It has a 63" beam, and is deeper. It's rated at 30 hp, tiller. I missed that one. It's to the left of the Sea Scamp page, and is a separate image.

It has three seats like yours. I think that may be your boat, now that I see the photos. It's a little beefier.

tashasdaddy

that boat with a 30hp on it, will be a rocket. i had a 15 in this 14 ft lonestar, and would run 25mph. had to put remotes on it to get on plane.

MVC-905S-2.jpg

CATransplant

Admiral

I agree, TD. A 15 or 18 would push that boat along just fine as a tiller boat. With some careful weight distribution and trim adjustments, it'd be a fine fishing machine. Even though it may be rated for 30, I can't imagine that horsepower would be needed.

Now, I had an old 14' Lund tinny here, with a 72" beam. It was rated for 50 hp, tiller. It was a big, wide, deep boat, but even it planed with a 15 hp Johnson, and stepped right out. I suppose if you put the six people in it that it was rated for, you'd need a 40-50 hp, but with just me in the boat, the 15 was just plenty. Guy sold it to me for $150, with trailer. I cleaned it up, re-hubbed and tired the trailer, and painted the boat and trailer, and sold it for $900, with no outboard. The guy who bought it brought his 15hp to the ramp when we tried it out. Worked great!

That said, the older 18 hp johnnyrudes were pretty lightweight, and the later 20's too. Trimmed in, they might just work fine. Cheap, too.

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks alot guys.I think when i'm ready to buy a motor I will look for a 15 to 20 HP.Depends on $$$ and what I find
The wood just goes down to where the bolts are along the middle of the Stern.I'm just thinking about weight and how it's going to move when there's a full load in it.Which will be almost all the time.
Oh yeah,It's a 4hp,but what do you want for a free bee.Not fast at all,but gets us where were going,,,,slow :)

CATransplant

Admiral

Sounds like a plan. Often, you can find the 20hp Johnson and Evinrude cheaper than the 15. Keep your eyes on your local Craig's List and something will show up soon. Make weight one of your main issues on this. Some of the 18hps are heavier than others. I can't remember the years, frankly.

That transom style is typical of the Starcraft/Sea King tinnies. Your wood looks like a replacement. There should be at least one factory brace going from just under the transom wood to the floor of the boat. Also, take a good look at those corner pieces at the top of the transom. Make sure they are solidly attached at all attachment points. They're an important part of the transom's strength.

Whatever outboard you buy, make sure to bolt it to the transom, along with the screw clamps. The smaller outboards have two mounting holes at the bottom of the transom mount. Use them. A good solid mount to the transom helps reduce stress and vibration. Use a good sealant on the stainless steel bolts you use, and use nylon-insert SS nuts and big washers on the inside. That also helps reduce theft.

Finally, buy and use a transom saver for trailering. You'll thank yourself the first time you're on a concrete highway that starts bouncing your outboard, stressing the transom.

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The transom is 1/2'' cdx plywood with 2 pieces glued and screwed together.
Stainless steel bolts with big washers on the outside and inside where it alouded me.I stained the wood and then used marine polyi,about 4 to 5 coats.
I will look into the transom saver,And just because I would have the power of a big motor doesn't mean I have to use it all.:} Thanks for all your help

CATransplant

Admiral

Good job on the transom. It should last a long time. Sounds like you did it right.

Good luck on finding a good outboard for your boat! Let us know what you find.

GTN

Recruit
I can contribute the following .....

I have a 6 hp Mercury.....just planes
Out runs maybe 8 mph with me and the wife and dog.

I just mounted and tested my 25hp Johnson tiller on my 69 wards sea king. She screams along at 25 mph at 3/4 throttle.... She's stern heavy for sure. Way more motor than i can ever use on my 14 foot sea king. If I run it full tilt the bow plows badly and unless the water is smooth as glass it feels like its going to wipe out. I've tried all the motor angles and nothing helps. Maybe a casting deck up front would brace and stabilize the boat more. Good luck on your venture. An 18 hp motor would flat out scream on your boat.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I can contribute the following .....

I have a 6 hp Mercury.....just planes
Out runs maybe 8 mph with me and the wife and dog.

I just mounted and tested my 25hp Johnson tiller on my 69 wards sea king. She screams along at 25 mph at 3/4 throttle.... She's stern heavy for sure. Way more motor than i can ever use on my 14 foot sea king. If I run it full tilt the bow plows badly and unless the water is smooth as glass it feels like its going to wipe out. I've tried all the motor angles and nothing helps. Maybe a casting deck up front would brace and stabilize the boat more. Good luck on your venture. An 18 hp motor would flat out scream on your boat.

10 year old post pretty sure he found a motor by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.