Starbrite blue liquid a waste of money?

Emerald Fox

Cadet
OMC recommends that their "Carbon Guard" is added to the fuel always, to keep the pistons clean of gunge, and on boat forums many people swear that they use it (or similar) always.
I can't find "Carbon Guard" where I live, however boatyards are selling small bottles of a blue liquid "Starbrite Startron" which is supposed to be some kind of miraculous enzyme treatment which keeps the engine insides clean of carbon build-up and general gunge, and I bought some and added it to the fuel. Is this stuff (a Florida company?) any good, or is it a waste of money?

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starbrite blue liquid a waste of money?

I know of a Tohatsu dealer (not the one near me) that recommends it as a fuel stabilizer for ethanol-laced gas instead of the blue Sta-bil mix. I've also seen it on the shelves at West Marine. Haven't tried it.

LubeDude

Admiral

Starbright is a product that is to be used in conjunction with a good stabilizer. It is suppose to stop the separation issues with Ethanol fuels when stored for extended periods. I have concidered using it this winter when I fill up for the last time before putting the boat away.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Emerald Fox, I have no clue as to how well Starbrite works, but I have been to Helsinki. I worked for Neste here in the states and went to Helsinki for meetings, it's a great place. I hope we can get an answer for you.

ebry710

Ensign

OMC recommends that their "Carbon Guard" is added to the fuel always, to keep the pistons clean of gunge, and on boat forums many people swear that they use it (or similar) always.
I can't find "Carbon Guard" where I live, however boatyards are selling small bottles of a blue liquid "Starbrite Startron" which is supposed to be some kind of miraculous enzyme treatment which keeps the engine insides clean of carbon build-up and general gunge, and I bought some and added it to the fuel. Is this stuff (a Florida company?) any good, or is it a waste of money?

Does anyone else have carbon build-up as a problem?

USA may have different fuel standards, I know California does. I have an 1989 Johnson, and I do not look at carbon build-up as a concern for me. I know aged gas is.

If carbon build-up in not a problem, then use only fuel stabilizer.