new 20 hp 4 stroke: Yam or Honda?

JanJ

Recruit
I think of purchasing a new 20 hp 4 stroke engine. The new 20 hp Yamaha looks the part, but there still is the famous Honda 4 stroke of the same power.
What would you buy??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: new 20 hp 4 stroke: Yam or Honda?

Those are both excellent engines, Jan.

I think the Honda is quite a bit lighter, so that is the way I would go.

Moving this to Non-Repair Outboard.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

The F20 Yamaha is the way to go. It is 114 lbs or 52 kg. It is available with manual or electric starting. The Honda doesn't have as many dealers to support you. Yamaha builds a quality product. The Honda weights are listed below and are either comparable or weigh more depending on the model.
Dry Weight Tiller(Man) (S/L) 46/49 kg - 101/108 lbs.

Dry Weight Tiller (Elec) (S/L) 49.5/52.5 kg - 109/116 lbs.

Dry Weight(Power Tilt) (S/L) 58/59.5 kg - 128/131

gss036

Commander

The Honda is a new model and comes with the option of power tilt (I think) The 15 & 20 hp are the basic engines. Also has electric start as an option. I would suspect dolloar wise the Yamaha is a few dollars cheaper. Both would give you excellent service. I have run a 15 hp Honda for the past 14 years.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The Yamaha F20 was reported to have some issues. In this particular size the Honda is probably the better choice. However, they may have fixed the flaws by now...

Drowned Rat

Captain

Another vote for the Honda. I'm a big Yamaha fan, but read some reviews on the 20hp 4 stroke Yammy and you'll see why Honda in the favorite here. Tohatsu makes an 18hp for quite a bit less money too if that would work for you.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is a review of the F20. I don't see anything negative here.

boats.com/news-reviews/article/the-outboard-expert-yamaha-gets-tough-with-its-f15c-and-f20-outboards

Last edited by a moderator:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

That's a puff piece that magazines do to stroke their advertisers. He was just quoting back Yamaha advertising copy. I'll see if anyone here remembers what the issue(s) were and if they were solved.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I believe the biggest complaint with that particular Yamaha was the excessive vibration, especially at below plane speeds. Maybe noise too. The Yamaha is not as efficient as it's Honda and Tohatsu counterparts either. It has a 2 star rating while Honda and Tohatsu are the only ones with the 3 star rating.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I spoke with a friend who is a Yamaha dealer and he said that they had a problem with excessive oil dilution. He also said that they fixed it and the design has been trouble free since. One thing though. He added that is was a little on the puny side for acceleration. So, I would still go with the Honda between the two.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is absolutely untrue that the F20 Yamaha has a two-star rating. It has a three-star rating. You can go here to verify the C.A.R.B. rating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drowned Rat

Captain

It is absolutely untrue that the F20 Yamaha has a two-star rating. It has a three-star rating. You can go here to verify the C.A.R.B. rating.

QUOTE]

Sorry, obviously they've recently upgraded. They had a 2 star rating.

JanJ

Recruit

Another vote for the Honda. I'm a big Yamaha fan, but read some reviews on the 20hp 4 stroke Yammy and you'll see why Honda in the favorite here. Tohatsu makes an 18hp for quite a bit less money too if that would work for you.

Hi Drowned Rat,
Where can I find these reviews???
Thanks a lot!

Drowned Rat

Captain

Hi Jan, I can't remember where I read that, but I just bought a Tohatsu 18hp and did a lot of research on it. It actually wasn't a review, but rather some folks talking about it on another forum.

Here is a good article that someone posted in the Tohatsu forum on the top contenders in the 15hp range. http://www.cruisingworld.com/article.jsp?ID=201826&typeID=397&catID=571

It's good reading and also paints the Yamaha in a good light.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

That discussion is from October 2003 and the test is of a 15 hp Yamaha. The current F20 was not made at that time. A four year-old "review" is not helpful.

Grits

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I own a 20 hp 4 stroke Yamaha. I replaced a 15 hp 4 stroke Evinrude/Johnson that was ripped off. I painted it right after I bought it and I can not remember which it was. I use the motor duck hunting. All I can say is I like it. I use a 4 stroke in this application because it is quiet. I could not wear it out in my lifetime and fuel is not a consideration. I bought it in October so I can not make any long term comments; however, I am impressed. It is a little much for one person to man handle but the quiet operation is worth it. I have had two dealers tell me the biggest problem is the starter. People engage the starter trying to start it when it is running. I have been guilty of that.

Grits

BillP

Captain

Anybody know if the old yamaha version with problems is being sold as a 2008 motor under their recent no model yr policy?

bp

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The modification occured during the early 2007 model year cycle. However, the serial number of the engine would determine if it was one of the early ones the was affected. Since the engine is being sold as a 2008 model it would be almost impossible for it to have been in Yamaha inventory all those months. Yamaha imports engines to the U.S. on a "presold to dealer basis" and maintains only a small amount of engines(as a percentage) as "inventory".

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the F15 and F20 were redesigned for the 07 production run. starting primary ID is now 6ag/15 horse or 6ah 20 horse.
new or redesigned yamahas can be identifed by a B at the end of the model code.
both are avalible with power tilt, while similar there are some technical differences between the F15 and the F20.
my advice would be to go with the brand that has decent dealership support in your area.

jim911

Cadet

Mine was made 7/2007 ID no. 6AHKL-1011620. Is this the new and improved or not?