Pros/Cons of Tohatsu Outboards

biloxiriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone have any thoughts or info on Tohatsu specifically I am interested in any on the 2000 115 hp.

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Pros/Cons of Tohatsu Outboards

I have heard good things about the Tohatsu's from people who own them, the well taken care of ones seem to last a while. As with any outboard, the maintenance that it received in the past is the deciding factor in reliability in the future.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Consider the availability of parts and service in your area.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree with WBW,, service centers don't exist here, you may get someone to work on it, but not certified.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Whatever you do don't buy a Tohatsu...Or a Yamaha, Evinrude, Suzuki or Honda. They all have smaller dealer networks than Mercury so you might actually have to drive some distance to get to a dealer. There are only two Tohatsu dealers within 35 miles of Gulfport. As we all know by now, anyone thinking about a Japanese engine or an Evinrude, should be made aware of how far they might have to go for parts and service since some areas of the country are not as heavily saturated as others with authorized dealers. Or maybe any of those brands with smaller dealer networks would be just peachy as they tend not to need dealer assistance as often. It's a tough call...Drive 40 minutes once every two years or drive 2 minutes 40 times a year. I know which one I would do:)

And on a serious note. The 115 is a detuned 140. It's out of warranty so you can turn it into a 140 with a pair of pliers. The engine design is trouble free, but the engine is seven years old with an unknown history. Gem or junk? You would have to have it checked out.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Tashasdaddy,

Are you in Jacksonville? Do you own a Tohatsu? There are two Tohatsu dealers in Jacksonville.