Trolling with 60 Hp Yamaha 4 stroke????

hooterville

Seaman
ok we went boat looking yesterday. Looked at 18' alumacraft Allwelded Jon with a 60hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Also been looking at G3 allwelded 18 footers too. Anyway i asked the sales guys about wheather a kicker motor would fit on the back or would i have to buy and install a motor bracket. He stated that the 60hp 4 stroke would do great slow trolling. Would slow trolling be hard on the bigger engine ?and would it go slow enough.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trolling with 60 Hp Yamaha 4 stroke????

I troll for walleye with a 75 HP two-stroke. Your 60 4-stroke will work just fine. When finished trolling make a high speed run to get it warmed up good before shutting down for the day.

RiverBoy

Cadet

that motor will work perfectly, i have the 50 hp yamaha 4 stroke, the motor is a quite as a sewing machine and does not smoke or stall. If you want to know anymore details just let me know. I have owned my motor for 4 years and use it a lot.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I can troll down to 2.0 mph gps speed with a 70hp Johnnyzuke 4 stroke on the back with my 16 foot side steer Lund. 4 strokes work great for slow trolling and the big 70hp sucks about the same amount of gas trolling as my 6hp 2 stroke kicker did. If I need to troll slower the bow mount trolling motor will pull my boat from 0mph to 2.5mph just fine. I actually didn't gain any weight going to a 4 stroke, I got to remove my 6hp kicker and the extra 3 gallon fuel tank for it.

hooterville

Seaman

how fuel efficient is the 70hp compared to the 6hp you removed?

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

for trolling, both go through about 2-3 gallons in 8 hours. Main difference is the 6hp was running about 1/2 throttle while trolling and the 70hp is just as idle. The 6hp is a 77' Evinrude. My 55hp motor the 70 replace would suck a whole 6 gallon tank in less than 8 hours at idle and would only troll down to about 2.6mph on a good day. Pulling a tube the 55hp downed 6 gallons in an hour, I can get close to 2 hours out of the 70hp 4 stroke under the same conditions with a 6 gallon tank. If you need to go even slow just get a trolling plate for the yamaha, you'll never have to work about a EFI engine loading up from excessive idling or trolling.