Bayliner with an L-drive?

SKE

Recruit
I am looking at a 1990 Bayliner. It is an I/O 90hp with an L-drive. I haven't seen an L-drive before, it appears to swing from under the stern. With the outdrive up on the trailer, not much clearance is between the road and the drive and I am concerned about it scraping the road leaving gas stations, or speed bumps. Also, not having seen one before, is this a common drive, and is it more prone to maintenance problems? I also question the 90hp if it is enough to pull akiers and tubes. Beautiful boat though, like new, and great price. What am I getting myself into???? Thanks in advance anyone!

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Bayliner with an L-drive?

Hi SKE,<br />They are an outboard powerhead(2stroke).<br />They are not real common.<br />I fixed 3 last year,average bill $1100.00.<br />90 HP is a little small,IMHO.<br />Go for a test ride to see if it is quiet and<br />smooth. What is a great price and why is it<br />so great? See if you can get a mechanic check<br />it out.<br />I personaly would look else where, but they can be ok. Depends on how much you will use it.<br />...have fun...corm

SKE

Recruit
Re: Bayliner with an L-drive?

Thanks corm, I think 90hp is a little underpowered. The boat looks brand new, he is asking $5500. I looked on the web site for Olympic Boat Centers which has a value finder for trade ins. They list this model valued at about $3800 on the high side. It is a Capri 1870. I thought the price looked great seeing how nice condition it is, looks stored inside. However, I think I will wait for something better to come along. Thanks for the reply!