Calif 2 Stroke Outboards -

argon30

Recruit
I was told today that a bill had been passed making it illegal to sell 2 stroke outboards in California next year. I know many lakes are resricting MTBE gas but have not heard of a ban on 2 stroke outboards used on boats<br />Can anyone tell me if this is true or not ?

Capt DHD

Seaman
Re: Calif 2 Stroke Outboards -

Hello:<br />I am a Johnson/Evinrude Dealer and last week I recieved a letter from OMC advising us that 2-stroke outboards would not be allowed for sale in California beginning with this model year, 2001. (2001 model year began July 1, 2000) The letter advised against shipping or selling any engine we felt may end up in Calf. <br />What about 2000 models now left over? Don't know? <br />Glad I am on the other end of the world right now. Although our Governor won't let Calf. stand alone for long, I really wonder how long it will be before we deal with this issue locally. Maine has delt with MTBE and a few other enviromental issues very similar to Calf. It's comming.<br />Not only did they ban the sale of units, it sounds as though they are also going to restrict the use of existing engines. They are introducing a "star system" to signify the emmission level of said engine. Should be interesting. <br />This is what I have to add.<br />Hope this helps answer your question<br />Rob<br />PS;<br />I would be interested in any other info on this subject. Did the Merc dealers get notification?

argon30

Recruit

Not only did they ban the sale of units, it sounds as though they are also going to restrict the use of existing engines. They are introducing a "star system" to signify the emmission level of said engine. Should be interesting. <br />?[/B][/quote]<br /><br />Thanks Rob for the reply.. I had not heard of this and now am faced with another problem. Because of health reasons we had decided to sell out 92 24' Tracker pontoon boat with a 60 hp 2 cycle and now get this news.. I guess the price of the boat has just taken a deep dive...again thanks for your reply

Capt DHD

Seaman

Hello;<br />I have a store full of the engines right now. They have my attention.<br />Rob.

Seafury

Cadet

Rob,<br /><br />I am looking for a 40 HP Johnson short shaft with power trim. 2 or 4 cycle. How Much?<br /><br />Chris

Capt DHD

Seaman

Hello Chris;<br />Thanks for asking but I can't help, Neither Johnson (2-stroke), or Evinrude (4-stroke) offer a 40Hp in a 15" model. The largest Johnson is a 30Hp,And then you would have to add the tilt kit which is available, Rigged, by the time you are done, about $3800.00. And only if it is not California bound!<br />Nothing close with Evinrude, largest 15" model is a 15Hp.<br />Thanks for asking, Used is a posibility but I have nothing at the time.<br /><br />One question I have. To you Chris, or anyone reading this.<br />Concerning the California issue; <br />Does anyone know what the ruling concerning New, Leftover 2000 and earlier 2-strokes is?<br />Any Idea as to the sale of used 2-strokes? This is going to get interesting.<br />If I find any info not already posted to this board, I will list it for those concerned. <br />Thanks, Rob

Capt DHD

Seaman

Hello Crom:<br />The bill you refer to is old, I wonder what OMC is refering to. I can't see this company not selling 2-strokes in Calf. by choice.<br />Got to be more to the story, time to make a call, I'll get the skinny soon, at least OMC's story.<br />Rob

Capt DHD

Seaman

Hello;<br />Just got off the horn with OMC.<br />The letter I first refered to was dated May 15,2000. Signed by OMC'S Chris Wainscott, Senior Vice President Marketing, Sales & Service. <br />The letter states That the Johnson line of 2-stroke Outboard motors will not be certified by The California Air Resources Board (CARB) or be available for sale because of, in 2001. <br />The Johnson Line will continue to be sold and accepted in the rest of the USA.<br />I am told that CARB has it's own set of guidelines, much more strict then the Fed's. The Johnson's meet the federal requirments but not the CARB requirments.<br />New, leftover 2000 product, and earlier manufactured used 2-stroke OB's will be legal for sale.<br />OMC can not speak for any other OB company but assumes that other Manufacturers are having to meet the same requirments.<br />This is what I have been able to get from OMC. <br />Any Merc Dealers out there receive a letter from Brunswick?<br /><br />Rob

nicko

Cadet

Instead of taking MTBE out of fuel they blame the outboards. Write Congress and tell them MTBE is a dangerous chemical that should not be put in the enviroment. It is making people ill just pumping the junk.

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good point Nicko.<br />Hi Capt DHD,<br />Merc told me today that they can ship and sell noncurrent 2 strokes out there.<br />The only 2001 motors that can be shipped to CA. are the Opti-Max and the 4 Strokes.<br />...glad I'm in WI...corm