boat repairs

JIMDE

Recruit
if ever in colorado do not use harris marine for repairs on your boat, you will have to repair the damage that they have done to your boat while in for repair. bad bad service they don't care about your property.

Capt DHD

Seaman
Re: boat repairs

First of all "Crom" where did you go?<br /><br />Sorry to take the devil's side here, but I guess someone should. <br />You make quite a blanket statement without details, and I do mean both sides. <br />The dealer never seems to get represented in these sort of things. I do not doubt that your claims of damage are true, people make mistakes, the only perfect guy I know got nailed to a cross, definatly not me! <br />I have had to deal with everything from broken drink holders to ripped seat covers to stolen motors in 20 years, as the dealer, and none of it pleasant. None of it intentional either. <br />As a dealer, having been in this situation before, I appologize and try to work out a reasonable conclusion to a bad situation. Some times it is hard to do when you have someone threatening to sue you every five minutes. Generally the conclusion is influanced by the customers treatment of the dealer as well. <br />The dealer has to take due care of a customers product and should fix anything their people may damage, (large items should be covered by the dealers insurance). But the customer should not rely soley on the dealers good nature and insurance in every instance. Technically, the dealer does not have to take responsability for lost stolen broken or damaged items, (read the disclaimer you signed upon leaving your boat off for repair.) Also, keep your own insurance current at all times.<br />No one likes to deal with this stuff but it has to get delt with in one way or another. I don't know who is right or wrong here, although no one sounds happy, especially you. <br />I can't remember an instance in which I was involved, that did not work out well for both sides, when both sides kept their cool and worked togeather.<br />Stick this in your "For what it's worth" catagory. Swap places with your dealer, approch him the way you would want to be approched if you were he, and see if you could resolve your problem. <br />I would be interested in hearing what happens.<br />Good Luck, Rob

JIMDE

Recruit

Originally posted by Capt DHD:<br />First of all "Crom" where did you go?<br /><br />Sorry to take the devil's side here, but I guess someone should. <br />You make quite a blanket statement without details, and I do mean both sides. <br />The dealer never seems to get represented in these sort of things. I do not doubt that your claims of damage are true, people make mistakes, the only perfect guy I know got nailed to a cross, definatly not me! <br />I have had to deal with everything from broken drink holders to ripped seat covers to stolen motors in 20 years, as the dealer, and none of it pleasant. None of it intentional either. <br />As a dealer, having been in this situation before, I appologize and try to work out a reasonable conclusion to a bad situation. Some times it is hard to do when you have someone threatening to sue you every five minutes. Generally the conclusion is influanced by the customers treatment of the dealer as well. <br />The dealer has to take due care of a customers product and should fix anything their people may damage, (large items should be covered by the dealers insurance). But the customer should not rely soley on the dealers good nature and insurance in every instance. Technically, the dealer does not have to take responsability for lost stolen broken or damaged items, (read the disclaimer you signed upon leaving your boat off for repair.) Also, keep your own insurance current at all times.<br />No one likes to deal with this stuff but it has to get delt with in one way or another. I don't know who is right or wrong here, although no one sounds happy, especially you. <br />I can't remember an instance in which I was involved, that did not work out well for both sides, when both sides kept their cool and worked togeather.<br />Stick this in your "For what it's worth" catagory. Swap places with your dealer, approch him the way you would want to be approched if you were he, and see if you could resolve your problem. <br />I would be interested in hearing what happens.<br />Good Luck, Rob

JIMDE

Recruit

WELL DHD YOU ASKED FOR IT. LAST YEAR ABOUT THIS SAME TIME MY WIFE AND I WERE LOOKING FOR A SMALL BOAT TO PURCHASE. NOTHING FANCY ARE TO BIG. AFTER LOOKING AT SOME REAL WRECKS FOR WHAT WE WANTED TO SPEND WHICH WAS ABOUT 2500.00.AFTER TWO WEEKS AF SEARCHING WE FOUND THE PERFECT BOAT 76 FIBER FORM 16' OUTBOARD 85HP MERCURY MOTOR. WE GOT EVERYTHING FROM FISH FINDER,SKIES ANCHOR,LIFE JACKETS,AND IT LOOKED LIKE IT HAD BEEN KEPT IN THE GARAGE ALL THESE YEARS.TOOK IT OUT FOR A SPIN ON NEAR BY LAKE IN LOVELAND,CO. RAN A LITTLE RUFF SO WE THOUGHT WE SHOULD TAKE IT IN FOR A TUNE UP.<br />HARRIS MARINE IS NEAR OUR HOME SO EXPLAINED THE PROBLEMS WE WERE HAVING WITH IT.AFTER 2 WEEKS THEY CALLED US AN SAID THAT THE BOAT WAS ALL FINISHED AND WAS RUNNING VERY GOOD FOR A BOAT THAT OLD, BUT WE COULD NOT PICK UP THE BOAT TILL THE NEXT DAY THATS WHEN THE COVER (150.00) WOULD BE BACK FROM HAVING A PATCH PUT ON IT THAT IT HAD BEEN TORN ON ACCIDENT. OK ,NO PROBLEM I CAN LIVE WITH SMALL PATCH EVEN THOUGH IT WAS A BRAND NEW COVER,SINCE THEY WERE HONEST ABOUT IT AN HAD IT REPAIRED.WELL THE NEXT DAY I SHOW UP TO PICK THE BOAT UP AN COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES. THE COVER DID NOT HAVE ONE SMALL PATCH ON IT (WITCH I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE BY THE CLEAT ON THE FRONT OF THE BOAT)BUT HAD 1 SMALL PATCH AND 2 MORE 1 PATCH WAS 12X12 AND WAS NOT ON THE FRONT OF THE BOAT BUT UP ON TOP BY THE WINDSHIELD.THERE WERE A LEAST 6 TO 8 , 2" TO 4" SCRATCHES THAT WENT ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE FIBERGLASS, 2 WERE 1/2" WIDE,ALSO THE METAL TRIM THAT GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND THE BOAT THE BOTTOM OF THE WAS SO ROUGHT FROM WHAT EVER HAPPEN AL MOST CUT MY HAND.I WENT BACK INSIDE AND ASKED TO TALK TO A MANAGER. HE SAID THAT HE WAS SORRY ABOUT THE BOAT COVER AN WOULD ORDER ME A NEW ONE,I HAD HIM COME OUTSIDE WITH ME TO LOOK AT THE REST OF THE BOAT TO SEE THE REST OF THE DAMAGE THAT HAD BEEN DONE. HIS ATTUIDE WAS NOT GOOD, HE FINALY DID SAY THE THEY WOULD REPAIR THE DAMAGE BUT I JUST KNOW THAT IF I HAD NOT SAID OR SEEN THE DAMAGE THAT NOTHING MORE WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE. HE NOTED ALL THE AREAS THAT NEEDED TO BE FIXED. FIVE DAYS LATER I CAME BACK TO GET THE BOAT SOME OF THE DAMAGE HAD BEEN FIXED SOME NOT, THE BOAT IS NOW OUT FOR ANOTHER 4 DAYS.... FINALY GET THE BOAT BACK AND ALL LOOKS GOOD BUT COVER IS STILL ON B/O. IN THE MEAN TIME WE GO FISHING AND HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MOTOR THAT WE HAD FROM THE START. SO BACK TO HARRIS MARINE. ANOTHER 180.00 THIS TIME THE WATER PUMP IS ALSO OUT HAVE THIS FIXED THE WATER PUMP WAS WORKING FINE A WEEK AGO,COVER COMES IN 6 WEEKS LATER.IT IS NOW OCT 1 TIME TO PUT THE BOAT AWAY FOR WINTER,DID NOT HAVE A CHANCE TO TAKE OUT AGAIN AFTER GETTING BACK FROM REPAIRS,IT SNOWED ON OCT 3RD. WELL IT'S A NEW YEAR AN IN APRIL I DECIDE TO GUT THE INSIDE OF THE BOAT OUT REPLACED ALL THE CARPET,PUT NEW SEATS IN ,RESTAINED ALL THE WOOD INSIDE.THE BOAT LOOKED VERY NICE NOW.PUT MUFFS ON TO CHECK OT MOTOR, NOTHING AGAIN BACK TO HARRIS MARINE. BOAT THERE 2 1/2 WEEKS THEY CALL AND ARE WANTING TO LAKE TEST (65.00) OK FINE, DO IT. PICK THE BOAT UP 3 DAYS LATER THEY SAY NOTHING WRONG. DAMAGED THIS TIME MOUNT THAT HOLDS UP MOTOR BENT BENT BAD BUNGEE CORDS THAT HOLD DOWN COVER IN BACK GONE AGAIN SECOND TIME, MOULDING ON INSIDE OF BOAT BROKEN, WATER NOT DRAINED OUT OF BOAT FROM RAIN STORM DRAIN PLUG STILL IN, GREASE & OIL STAINED MY NEW CARPET GREASE ON NEW SEATS THESE PEOPLE DO NOT GIVE A **** ABOUT ANYBODYS STUFF,F______ IDIOTS. WHAT WOULD YOU DO NOW ?? 3 STRIKES<br /><br />------------------<br />JIM DELARBER

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm around
biggrin.gif
<br />JIMDE<br />To bad your having so much trouble with your favorite dealer.(use-to-be)<br />1)BUT UP ON TOP BY THE WINDSHIELD;This is where all covers rip.Why? Poor fitting cover,<br />tied to tight,cheep cover-no vinl sewed inside to reinforce the rub spots,light grade of canvas, wind whipped when left half undone,large water pockets,and improper removal are someways.<br />2)A LEAST 6 TO 8 , 2" TO 4" SCRATCHES THAT WENT ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE FIBERGLASS, 2 WERE 1/2" WIDE,ALSO THE METAL TRIM THAT GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND THE BOAT THE BOTTOM OF THE WAS SO ROUGHT FROM WHAT EVER HAPPEN.<br />Mechanic slipped on fender geting in boat<br />and broke his teeth,a drawer on his tool box slid open he lost his balance and tool box<br />did what it does second best chip gelcoat,<br />another customer ran into your boat while getting his or droping his off,the motor hoist cable broke letting the hanging motor<br />take a swipe at yours(it was a Johnson and they don't like Mercs),the belt buckel did it,no another boat rolled into it on it's own.<br />3)HIS ATTUIDE WAS NOT GOOD, Ya no one told him,the only suprize he likes is on his birthday.Or he knew and felt hopeless.<br />4)FINALY GET THE BOAT BACK AND ALL LOOKS GOOD<br /> ok and B/Os happen every where in all business.<br />5)AND HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MOTOR THAT WE HAD FROM THE START ? what problem?<br />6)ANOTHER 180.00 THIS TIME THE WATER PUMP IS ALSO OUT HAVE THIS FIXED THE WATER PUMP WAS WORKING FINE A WEEK AGO, it only takes 5 seconds for a pump to fail,do they warranty their work? Are they fixing somthing else?<br />7). DAMAGED THIS TIME MOUNT THAT HOLDS UP MOTOR BENT BENT BAD BUNGEE CORDS THAT HOLD DOWN COVER IN BACK GONE AGAIN SECOND TIME, MOULDING ON INSIDE OF BOAT BROKEN, not good<br />do they drink on the job or do you but junk thinking it is a good product(not your fault),some people steal bungee cords.hehe<br />8)WATER NOT DRAINED OUT OF BOAT FROM RAIN STORM DRAIN PLUG STILL IN, oversites happen<br />kind of petty IMHO.<br />9)GREASE & OIL STAINED MY NEW CARPET GREASE ON NEW SEATS disrespectfull but not life threatning,have them clean it.<br />10)THESE PEOPLE DO NOT GIVE A **** ABOUT ANYBODYS STUFF, so you have talked with their other customers to know this as fact.<br /><br />Being a Marine Dealer for 44 yrs,if you can think it I've seen it happen(I hope
biggrin.gif
). I<br />have to agree with Capt DHD "None of it intentional either."<br /><br />Being a customer I have a habit of expecting<br />perfection,cause thats what I strive for.<br />Something I can't obtain and know I can't.<br /><br />If some place doesn't meet my expectations<br />I either change places,hopeing the next one is better(I ask around),or change my expectations.<br /><br />I would like to know what your motor does or doesn't do for you as the 4 cyl Mercs were good motors.Maybe we can give you some info<br />on the problem so when you see the same or next dealer you know more about what might need to be done. I understand the need to vent,but I like message boards to help people with problems and you seem to have more than your share.
smile.gif
<br /><br />...have fun...corm<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />cubic inches = power<br />power = speed<br />speed = FUN

Capt DHD

Seaman

Jim:<br />I don't know how I could follow Crom's remarks! Yes, you have had your share of problems with this dealer maybe it is time to move on.<br />Crom:<br />I expierenced flashbacks reading your comments! We never try to do anything intentionally but **** happens, and yeah, it would be nice to know of damage before the customer shows up, dosen't always happen that way. been stuck in that crack myself once or twice.<br />Jim:<br />Keep your expectations up. I pride myself in always giving my best effort. I am sure your Dealer (former?) has to think this way as well, (at least to a degree.) His intentions are not malicious. Maybe you two just don't click. I say this meaning, and I can't explain why, I have had customers that it seems no matter how careful I am, how hard I try, no matter what I do, I just don't get it right! Eventually the stars change or we move on. If you have a civil dialog going with this dealer, maybe you give him one more try, maybe the stars change this time, maybe you just choose to move on. Whatever your choice I hope it works out right for you. Don't give up on us as a whole.<br />Good Luck, Rob<br />Crom: <br />Nice to be privy to your thoughts.<br />Rob.

steve064

Cadet

There is a way to prevent this, and any time I take my vehicles anywhere for service I require it. Make someone do a walk around with you, point out your ouches and imperfections, and let them point out any that you miss. Draw a picture or write down location and description, on their letterhead if possible. When you are done, both of you sign it, and in minutes each of you has spared the other much !@#$^%$-ing. If you aren't going to protect your investment, don't expect the other guy to either. On the other hand, if a business doesn't want to do this, or tries to reassure you out of it, take the hint and move on. Hey, nothing personal, it's just GOOD business.<br />Steve

Capt DHD

Seaman

Your Right Steve;<br />This year I started doing walkarounds with all the boats being dropped for service, mostly because of trailer lights. I've heard my share of "They worked when I dropped it off." and we have given away more then our share of replacements/repairs in just the last few years. So far this season "0"<br />Consiquently, our "paid" trailer light repairs are up. Hump go figure, Your right Steve, doing a walkaround is good business.<br />Rob

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We use a used boat trade-in form, for our walk arounds.It covers most everything but<br />contents which we list also.Amazing how many<br />stainless props used to be under seats. We also have ladders,plastic tool boxes,carpet<br />mats,beach towels,rolling work stations,garden tractors to move boats from work area to pick-up area or drop-off area,<br />no walfel sole boots, no belt buckels,matts like the car places use on fenders,two people<br />to move IO motor covers,and on&on.Bottom line<br />is no problems with the customer and no hurt<br />mechanics. Down time costs everyone money and<br />fun. Nobody likes that.<br />BTW the walk around helps the customer to see potential problems they might not know that they have.<br />We have been doing this for a long time now.<br />To bad we didn't learn this all in one day.
smile.gif
<br />...have fun...corm

nicko

Cadet

Wonder why most dealers wont touch a 25 year old motor.<br /><br />------------------<br />Its cheaper to have someone who knows what they are doing fix it.

JIMDE

Recruit

IT SHOULD NOT MATTER HOW OLD A MOTOR OR A BOAT OR WHAT EVER IT IS,IF YUO TAKE SOMETHING IN FOR REPAIR IT SHOULD BE TAKEN CARE OF AS IF IT WERE YOUR OWN. I'M IN THE SERVICE INDUSTRY WITH THE TORO CO. AN WE HAVE MANY AWARDS FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. EVERYONE SELLS THE SAME CRAP IT'S THE SERVICE THAT COUNTS

nicko

Cadet

Well you work for Toro. Let me tell you about my Toro lawn machine. $3500 and the darn thing was in the shop so often I had to hire a guy to mow my lawn. Well don't you know it he falls and busts his leg and now his attorney wants me to pay him!!! Boy then the service folks took real good care and got her running like a top again but the flood took her out and when the water got low well it was a sad sight. The homeowners wouldnt pay cause of the flood and the flood insurance wouldnt pay either. To make matters worse I had to give it away for nothing. If they actually did what you said I would take em to small claims court because old boats are just as good as new ones and should be respected as such. I bought a new Toro and it runs like a dream its been running strong for 4 years without a hitch.

Capt DHD

Seaman

Hello;<br />I agree with the "it's the service" comment. It is the one central thing that seprates the professional shops from the "in it for the fast buck" com******.<br />Ditto on the taking care of any machinery you accept in for service. You take all due care.<br />As far as "why dealers don't service older product", Who is most likely to need proper repair? and who is most likely to upgrade if there unit is beyond reasonable repair? We service alot of older product, crazy not to. And your right, you have to take as good a care of it as you do new.<br />We should take everyone to small claims court! (I couldn't let that one go.) It seems to be an easy go to line anytime something dosn't go just right. Mechanical problems don't always bite you on the ***! Even with all our test equiptment some problems don't always show themselves right off. (**** lost my crystal ball again! gonna be a bad week!) Don't ding a guy for tring. (Just sue him, Right!)<br />All in fun.<br />Rob