1990 Force 50 HP Outboard: Can I get more power out of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcichon

Cadet
I recently bought a 1990 Bayliner Capri 1700 with a Force 50 HP Outboard. I live in Colorado and was just boating at a lake at 9,000 feet. The boat performs great but I would love to squeeze some more HP out of it. The seller gave me one of those hydrofoils which I haven't put on yet. Do they work and what are the benefits/drawbacks of them? What about Boyesen Power reeds? Are they worth the money? I am also considering using higher octane gas: is it worth it? Different prop? Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Lee

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1990 Force 50 HP Outboard: Can I get more power out of it?

hydrofoils will not help increase your speed or power. they only help to plane the boat and from what i have heard, they do more bad then good. In simple terms, most people say they suck. they actually will take away from your performance if they are not mounted just right as they will cause additional drag.

if i were you, id leave that force alone with the except of a different prop.. just be happy that it is running. you trying to mess with it and increase performance will probably cause it to run worse or maybe not run at all.

As for props, A nice SS prop will give you either a better top end or hole shot. you pick.

As for gas, run the lowest octane (i.e 87). running higher octane is a waste and is only necessary for engines with very high compression ratios which that force is not. Higher octane actually will take away performance from your boat since it burns slower than that lower grades.

lcichon

Cadet

That makes sense.

"As for props, A nice SS prop will give you either a better top end or hole shot. you pick. "

In theory, hole shot isn't as important to me as top end, however, the real reason I want more power is the boats' inability to plane out at higher elevations with 4 or 5 adults aboard. I don't care how long it takes to reach plane, but I want a better shot at it. Which should I shoot for to improve that?

Thanks for the input.

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

do a search on trim tabs or smart tabs. these help you plane your boat better than a hyrofoil and many people that have them are extremely happy. they are definately worth the money.

Also, what pitch prop are you running right now? you could buy the trib tabs first and see how those work with your current prop. Im sure you will be happy with the planing ability but if you still aren't satisfyed with top end, you could swap props for more of a speed prop, but by doing that, it will most likely hurt your holeshot which is esentially your ability to plane.

When changing props, you have to understand that your going to have to sacrifice one thing in order to get another. if you get a speed prop, your going to sacrifice some bottom end and if you get a stump pulling prop, your going to sacrifice top end. its all about what is most important to you...

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Was the motor originally set up for that altitude? If the prior owner moved there from Arizona or something you may could find some high-altitude mods (carb jetting or something).

Apart from that, post your question in the prop forum...let those experts advise you on setup.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with jtexas. Get a manual for the engine and see what they recommend for high altitude operation. Most carb'ed engines can use a different jet for high altitudes. 9000' is high.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you are carrying 5 adults , i hate to tell you , but you are under powered, you need that hole shot to get that 750 to 950 lb. load moving, you also need to check the coast guard data plate to see what your max. person, max wt. max weight is all gear, people and motor. you may be overloading the boat. nada says your motor weighs 160 lbs plus tanks and gas.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

A 17' glass boat, with an underpowered 50 hp motor, probably not jetted properly, with 4-5 adults, and running at elevations of 9000'.

Not a good formula for success.
That motor was barely enough for a 14' Capri.

You should have a .090 jet for any altitude over 6000'.
9000' is really asking a lot from that motor.

The hull, motor and battery weighs 1100#, plus 100# for gas.
plus 750+ for people = 1950# plus !!

Would be a good idea to find a 90 hp to mount on that boat.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

At sea level your under powered at 9,000 wow! But proper jets,careful set up and trimming you may get by.
with no room to spare.Antivent plate should be approximately even with the bottom of the boat.Every inch you can raise it without ventilation problems could add 2-3 mph to your max empty speed.Don't change props until you know your present rpm and present prop pitch.The prop forum can advise from there.
Regardless after careful setup and trimming add the smart tabs you'll think you have a new boat.

lcichon

Cadet

Found good smart tabs brand new on Ebay for $129. Think I'll try them out. I probably won't jet the carbs because we run the boat in Denver most of the time which is below 6000' and it does pretty well. I was considering swapping the motor but the hassle, expense, and cost of gas will probably keep me using the 50 for now.

Thanks guys!

lcichon

Cadet

However, if I do find a smoking deal on a Force 120 HP on ebay:

1. How can I find out the HP transom rating for my boat to make sure it can handle it?

2. How much work is it to swap motors? Can I do it myself. (I'm pretty mechanically inclined and do most things like this myself)

Thanks-

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

1. There's no rating plate on the boat? Here's the USCG guidelines for boatbuilders, HP limit formulas included. Yours may vary. But I imagine Bayliner could tell ya.

2. Requires heavy lifting. Adjusting the throttle & shift cables. Might also require some drilling. I leave anything out?

plztellme

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1. There's no rating plate on the boat? Here's the USCG guidelines for boatbuilders, HP limit formulas included. Yours may vary. But I imagine Bayliner could tell ya.

2. Requires heavy lifting. Adjusting the throttle & shift cables. Might also require some drilling. I leave anything out?

Just to let you know, that link is inoperable

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

In reality it's not worth putting any money into that motor, a SS prop will cost more than the motor is worth.
Find out the max HP allowed on your hull and find as new of a motor as you can afford, this is your best and most affordable option.

Then sell the 55 before you spend a dime on it.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

6 year old thread........

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It got me, I should have looked.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

How about I lock this up ;)

Makes me sad to see Bob's (Tashasdsaddy) old posts :( So out of respect this one is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.